Zuki Issues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:39 AM
4x4xgirl

Zuki Issues

So, I'm driving home from work this morning, trying to make it to class on time and all is running well. I'm going up a hill and need to shift down for that little extra boost of power. I put my foot on the clutch and the thing is limp as spaghetti, no tension, no nothing. The light is green so I'm praying I can make it back to my dorm which is literally 300 feet from where I was, but what happens you might ask? The person in front me stops their big honkin' Chevy Tahoe in the middle of the road to let her friend get out to go into a building ... arrrggghh. So I stop, knowing full well that once I do, there's nothing I can do to get her in motion again. So, I'm left in the middle of a busy road with my blinkers on, and a whole bunch of not-too-happy folks behind me honking. I get out, run into the nearest building and call a tow truck who then proceeds to show up 30 minutes after the 10 minute time estimate they gave me on the phone. So Zuki is sitting in a tranny shop as I type this, awaiting her diagnosis. Sigh, there goes the roof rack fund [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Any thoughts on what it could be? I'm figuring hydraulics or clutch assembly went out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:46 AM
SPAMurai

Re: Zuki Issues

i'm guessing it's something very simple, like the clutch cable came disconnected at one end or something. i was going to say bad master or slave cylinder, but then i remembered there are none! good luck,
steve o'
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Pooh-Bah

sorry to hear of your misfortune, but in a bind to get moving, you can always shut off your vehicle put it in gear then restart it. It will buck as you try to start it, but it'll start and you can move. You can also shift without a clutch, but that takes a lil time to learn the rpm ranges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:04 AM
4x4xgirl

Thanks for the info ... I'm hoping that I won't have to try that one out for awhile [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. The more I read, the more I'm starting to suspect its the clutch cable. There was a slight grinding when I attempted to shift gears about a week or so go, but it was short-lived and went away. Then it came back today. After I was stopped in the middle of the road, the clutch pedal moved easily, yet I couldn't get the tranny to shift. I'm crossing my fingers that this is it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:31 AM

For future reference, you could have successfully moved the truck from the road. Procedure is as follows:

Put the transfer case in 4 low
Put the transmission in 1st
Depress clutch pedal to the floor
Check that nothing is in the direction you want to head
Start truck (will move as soon as you start cranking)
Hang on for dear life
As soon as you get where you would like to be, pull transmission out of gear and apply brake !!!
Shut off engine as soon as possible (avoids unwanted movement)

Taking care to watch where you are headed, you can use this method to move a truck with a broken clutch assembly.

Hope this helps (I know a little too late) [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

SOunds like the cable, You can't start a sami in gear that hasn't had the safty switch jumped BTW. Easy to do, there is a
connecter under the dash that has 2 wires going from the switch that is on the top of the clutch pedel, you just need to disconnect it and jump the 2 wires on the wiring harness end
with a small piece of wire. BUT Be carfull as you will be able to start it in gear! (A friend forgot this and started his sami into another friends tow rig..) [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 11:17 AM

that is why ZOOK94 said to push in the clutch pedal, so the switch would be engaged.
so she could start it while in gear... even though the cable is probably broken...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode