Removing carpet from a 97 Sidekick - any tricks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 07:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Removing carpet from a 97 Sidekick - any tricks?

Hi all!

Recently got a 1997 Sidekick:
http://www.thebrokenjoystick.com/pictures/mysidekick

and I want to replace the carpet/padding. Are there any tricks/tips to doing this or should I just get in there with some tools and go to work? I'm assuming I'll be able to figure out how to get everything out of the way (seats, etc.) without much difficulty. Anyone else done this?

I'm hoping to put in some leftover black carpet I have (from carpeting my gameroom). I'm going to replace the padding with some cheap carpet padding from Lowe's/Home Depot.

Thanks for any advice,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 08:53 AM
Happy_Trails

Re: Removing carpet from a 97 Sidekick - any tricks?

Well I have a 93 Sidekick and plan on removing my carpet also, but not replacing it with other carpet.Are you planning on off roading it ? I plan on doing the rhino lining/herculite lining.You can do this yourself or pay someone to spray it on. As far as removing carpet I have heard a hammer and chisel come in handy.There is an old post about removal,do a search........Good Luck [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:48 AM

Re: Removing carpet from a 97 Sidekick - any tricks?

You are going to have a heck of a time getting new -flat carpet to go into a Sidekick. The carpet as designed is molded to fit and comes in 2 sections front & back. The rear portion waterfalls down into the rear footwells and you might be able to make a portion of that with flat carpet. But the portion that covers each front footwell, the tunnel and under the front seats will be very tricky to stretch to fit.

The original is held in with plastic snaps and so a screwdriver or stiff putty knife will pop the snaps up easily.

I found a used carpet in a wreck that was much less worn than what I had so I bought it for just $10 and installed it. Ditched that plastic shifter-console thingy and cut a rubber floor mat to fit the 2 shifter boots over top of the tunnel. Much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Removing carpet from a 97 Sidekick - any trick

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

You are going to have a heck of a time getting new -flat carpet to go into a Sidekick. The carpet as designed is molded to fit and comes in 2 sections front &amp; back. The rear portion waterfalls down into the rear footwells and you might be able to make a portion of that with flat carpet. But the portion that covers each front footwell, the tunnel and under the front seats will be very tricky to stretch to fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. The carpet I have is brand new, thin, and extra (I kept it cause I'm a pack-rat and couldn't throw it out). I'll give it a try and see what happens. Worst case - I can't get it to work, I waste a lot of time, and I just put the old carpet back in - it's the padding underneath that needs replacing more than the carpet itself.

If it doesn't work, I'll have to try some junkyards and see if I can get the carpet from them. Mine has grey carpet, but I really want black but don't want to pay the $160 price tag from Quadratec.

I wonder if I could go to a carpet outlet store and get some thin carpet that would work in cars (and lie flat easily)? Actually, now that I think about it - Lowe's or Home Depot sells some black Astroturf-looking carpet cheap. I remember it was thin too. I wonder how that would do?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode