Shifting into 2nd Gear... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Shifting into 2nd Gear...

I feel I should know the answer to this question.. but I just thought I would ask.

1995 Sidekick 4 Door 16v 4x4...

*Almost* everytime I try to shift into 2nd gear (no other gear does this), whether it be upshifting or down.. it grinds and grabs a little bit. Doesn't matter if I take it slow or fast. The only way it seems to work is if I come to almost a complete stop before I shift.

Does this sound like syncro gears to you?

Was this something caused by lifting the truck (3 inch body 2 inch susp)?

How long can I usually run around with it like this?

Anybody know how hard it is to fix them or how much it costs?

Thanks in advance

Heather

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Shifting into 2nd Gear...

Heather,
My first guess would also be the syncro. A "syncro" is actually 3 parts, one part is machined on the gear itself, the second part is on the item that the gear is to transmitt power to, (usually a shaft), the third item that can go bad is the coupler or 'clutch' that the shift arm causes to slide over and connect the gear to the shaft.
A visual inspection can tell you what is wrong in most cases, but you will need to find a way to look inside the tranny.

Don.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:27 AM

Heather, my samurai does that for first gear, and what I do is partially put it in gear (meaning I start to put it in gear) then take it out and then it goes right in gear with out the grabbing or slight grind... might want to try that and see if that helps...

but I agree with Don, it is probably your syncro gears...

by the way I have been shifting in to first gear on mine that way for 6 or 7 years now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got a bad second gear, I've been going strong for a year or so now.. I just shift slowly and it grinds much less.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:50 AM

Does your shifter hit the floor? I had to clearance the floor hole for the shifter with my body lift. Have you chnaged the fluid too? My 93 shifted hard, especailly when it was real cold.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Yah.. I had my shifters extended 3 inches when I put the body lift on.. so they do not hit the floor. I also have had my fluid changed.. so I don't think it is that. It's been doing this for probably 6 months or more.. and just seems to get more and more annoying. I guess I will just take it easy.

Heather
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 11:21 AM

Zooks are famous for bad syncros, especially 2nd gear. Been living with that problem for about 2 years now. If you ease it into second slowly it probally won't grind. Changing the fluid to Red Line 70/90 synth. helped a great deal also. It shifts a lot smoother now in all gears.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heather, two teenagers learning how to drive in my 4-door pretty much trashed the tranny! It grinds in MOST gears, I just use a light touch, as it's engaging. I haven't tried to fix it yet, but I'd guess it is the synchros (they're made of brass). Mine's been like that for about 3 years now, but I'll probably drop the tranny next summer, and rebuild it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 03:53 PM

what was ment about the shifter hitting the floor was when you lift the body the body can contact the shifter the farther the body gets away from the tranny pivit the larger the shifter hole needs to be. the transfer case lever is notorious for hitting with a body lift and the shift boots being tight amd pulling on the levers tring to pull them into newtral
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Well.. because I added 3 inches of height to them before the bend in the shifters near the base where they attach to the tranny and transfer case.. I have not had to make larger holes in the truck. (they swing around fine) I did have to turn the boots around, but no pulling so far. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think it is a syncro gear issue.. and I will just take it easy on second gear till I can get that fixed.

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Heather
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 933204-DCP02485 (Medium).JPG (64.5 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode