Need advice on my MONEY - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 02:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need advice on my MONEY

Hey,

Just picked up a 91 samurai, great shape but doesn't run. I also have a line on a rebuilt 1.6 8v. The 91 isn't getting spark, guy said he tried everything but the pick up coil. So it could be that or maybe still the igniter. Still, either aren't cheap. Do any of you have a FI 1.3? Is it better than a carb'd 1.3, or no difference? What do you think of it? I am debating on getting the 1.6, costs alot more but probably well worth the money. Anyone live in colorado? We may move back and I told the wife I would keep this one street legal, still sitting on 35's of course but do any of you run aftermarket carbs like the weber or even a pony and still make it past inspection? The reason I ask is that if I go with the 1.6 I'd go carb'd. These are hard decisions when it's your own money your dealing with and not someone elses.

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Wes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 02:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need advice on my MONEY

If your curious, this will still be a 95% trail only vehicle, but this time with fenders and lights and such. I just want something that will pass inspection so if I want to take it to napa, work or even Dairy Queen on a nice night I can, know what I mean.

Wes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 05:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

wes,
me personally, id pop to figure out what the spark problem is, efi is definately the way to go. phoeey on carbs seein as its efi'ed already. then, once you get the motor runnin, if it acts like a good motor, good compression etc, if give it a full tune up PLUS NEW TIMING BELT. and not worry about puttin in a 8v 1.6. that what i would do in my opinion. now if the motor is shot and you got a line on 1.6, go for it, circumstances are too many to mention. but first, id definately get the efi running and find out condition of motor before making major decisions. plus, efi would be a nice thing to have if moving back to the mtns of co. you can change elevations pretty dern fast just on the interstate driving through there. remember when we did it in a carbed van. NOT FUN...
just my .o2
BiLLy bOb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 06:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good advice Billy Bob, I work nights by myself and sometimes my head gets carried away. I need to find some spark and go from there.

Wes.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 07:57 AM

run a jumper from the + battery terminal to the + on the coil that should get you spark in most circumstances it bypasses a couple could be problems had to do this on mine once and then after i got off the trail and thought about it i figured out it was just a fuse should have looked at all of them better (this is a tempary fix it will aventually fry the coil)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:05 AM
Veteran

Mine did the same thing.
Spent days troubleshooting and replacing parts.
Turns out the ground was broken inside the insulation. The one that goes from the distributor to the firewall.
Check all of your grounds.
HTH
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:37 AM
Skip

I agree with Billy Bob. Get the 1.3 running and see what you've got. I'm in WA state and have a Weber
with cam and DT header on my 87. I passed emissions with no problem. However going from EFI to carb
may be different and I'm not sure about different states
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 05:08 PM
RedRock

Wes,

Get the 1.3 EFI running. Chances are really good it's a ground wire of the computer. Check contiuity on every wire that connects to the block. If they check out you can send your computer and have it tested. If its bad its about $300 to have it rebuilt.

Larry
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 06:42 PM

I'd almost bet money being that it is an EFI samurai that it is a dead ECM. Send the ECM to Petroworks and I think they can test it for ya. If it turns out to be it only $300 to repair it and that is pretty cheap for an EFI rig.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been talking with just about everyone, Tim Brent and Sean. Sounds like it is the ECM that is bad according to the description of the problem from the person I bought it from. It got worse and worse to the point it wouldn't start and is giving no spark. I told Brent I would think about it tonight, not a cheap fix but this engine has only 50k on it and it is from CA. so I would love to get this thing running, I've never seen a stock samurai with no rust on it anywhere. I'll call Brent tomorrow and get the parts I need and hopefully have the thing in a week or two. My wife wants to document the whole build up this time so I will be posting everything on here. Thanks for the input.

Wes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode