The GTI project is comming along well. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The GTI project is comming along well.

I've got the long block assembled and inside the samurai. Everything is going well. The dodge motor mounts are looking like they will work very well. I've got to replace some more seals, ujoints, and reassemble the intake and exhaust. There are some misc. things to hook up, this and that, then comes the magical moment!! Vroom!
I've decided to use valvoline 10-30 oil and I have a 3 dollar pep boys oil filter on there that I will replace after 20 or so minutes @ 1800rpm with a purolator pure 1.
I'm planning on running the stock carb for ~1000 or so miles and then tackle the weber carb project.
I've got lots of work and so little time!
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
The rear end is in very very very bad shape, The lower ujoint is trash and the pinion bearing is non existant [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]! So far, the cost is say 1300 dollars or so not including me selling any of the engine parts or GTI stuff I did not need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: The GTI project is comming along well.

Ok, the engine is in and installed and it runs. I think I have the distributor off by one key/tooth. I need my timing light to make sure the timing is correct (it is off now, the header glows after about 5 minutes @ 2000rpm). Everything is looking positive, I've got 65psi oil at startup and about 60 when she's warm. With 4 cylinders pumping and an agressive cam it sure sounds different than my 2 cylinders that were barley running a little while ago. The oil looks clean, there is little blow by, the engine is smooth (needs tuning though, low end is bad right now).
Can't wait till later on today with the timing light. Vroom!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 05:44 AM
Veteran

Where did you buy your rebuild kit for the short block? How much overbore (if any) did you give it? You do still have forged pistons, right? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 07:50 AM

sounds like you are coming along just fine. after having at least five different engines and combinations in my "good" zuk, i am very satisfied with my gti hybrid engine. it has good power, very simple (no efi wiring or sensors to fail or emissions) runs flawless and is about as bulletproof as an import engine can get. i am sure you will enjoy your new engine and it's durability/reliability. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Stock engine w/sumo ii head. The stock pistons are not forged, just the crank, the connecting rods are larger and have floating wrist pins. I bought the bearing/ring kit locally for ~~120 ish there bouts and had the machine shop "HONE" the cylinders. I balanced the flywheel and that's about all.
Zoom!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:25 PM

What are the torque/H.P. spechs on your swift 1.3?How much can you pull out of one Any other go fast goodies you can use?

Thanks
Anarchy Joe
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I do not know the exact torque and hp numbers, I'm expecting 100hp and maybe 60 and some change of torque? I'm not sure now..
Note, with the timing off, the header glows red. I need to change that [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 06:44 PM
Frog

So does that mean that you'll be with us next week end?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yup, I'll be going to alapha. The engine was running at say 5* ADC hahahah!
I removed the distrib and moved it 1/16 of a turn (one gear spot) and adjusted the timing
to 10*bdc @ 1000 or so rpm with the vaccume advance disconected. She runs and drives, the tranny seal is trashed (sigh, real hard to find!!) but the engine is sounding and running well. I has lots of power even when I am very gentle. I've set the red line mentally @ 4000rpm. I'll have to take all the back roads and varry the rpm and load very often. She does not burn oil and does not have any odd ticks or knocks. Hehheeh, it goes berrrup berruup berrrup vs put put put put put..
I'm happy and I'll have to be gentle on the break in period.
I'm a little worried on the oil pressure. On startup I'll get mid 60's and durring 3000 or so rpm the oil goes up to 70 psi.. This is with 10-30 weight of oil. Good/bad?
The oil pressure comes up super duper fast when the engine first fires, lots quicker vs the old engine with 20-50 oil.. I remember sarge got into the 100's on oil pressure so I am not too worried.
Yeah!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 08:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Once it's broke in, try going to 5w30 synthetic . It may bring the oil pressure down to more sane levels . Mine stil ran 100psi cold with that weight, but dropped down to 60 when it warmed up .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode