help me brothers the '"difffs" are revolting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

help me brothers the \'\"difffs\" are revolting

I finally got the master install kits so I could install my 4.57 gears into my sammy. I also got a richmond video from randy ring&pinion which made it look pretty easy to install the gears. Then I read the book that came with the yukon install kit. Now I am completely confused about the install process. I have never worked on diffs before so this is going to be anew experience. I have most of the tools to do the install but need to find a better manual to follow. Is the factory service manual pretty good.

I also need to know the backlash and pinion depth for 4.57, my gears didn't come marked.

Thanks in advanced for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: help me brothers the \'\"difffs\" are revolting

Your hardest task, will be correctly setting up the pinion depth, it might take a couple times to get it right. What would be a good idea, is to get another inner pinion bearing, and hone it out a little, so it will slide on and off the pinion gear, otherwise if you have to reshim, there is a good chance of ruining the pinion bearing when removing it.

Unless your given a pinion depth spec to start with, mic all the current shims on your pinion and use that as a base measurement.

Put the shims on the pinion then slide the honed bearing on, put the pinion in the carrier(no crush sleeve) put the outer bearing on, the yoke, and use the old nut(if threads are correct) and tighten it to the correct spinning inch pound spec.

Next install the carrier set preload and back lash, mark the gears and get a pattern. here is a link to set carrier preload and backlash(since you have no spec, I'd use .007-.009). http://www.lilzeus.net/gear_preload.asp

Use the instructions you have to see a proper reading. This web page also has a good clear picture
http://www.drivetrain.com/ringpinioninstal.html

After you have a pattern, you will know what you need to do next. If you have to adjust the pinion depth, take it all apart and re follow everything again.

If the pinion depth is good, take it all apart, remove the honed innner pinion bearing, put on the new bearing, install the pinion seal, put the crush sleeve on the pinion, put the pinion in the carrier, outer bearing, yoke and new nut. You will need some sort of yoke/flange holding tool, to get the crush sleeve started. Once it starts to cruch and you get close to the pinion rotating inch pound spec, tighten a little at a time and keep checking the inch pound spec so you dont over tighten.

you will need minimum a magnetic base dial indicator and either a inch pound torque wrench or spring(fish) scale.

Follow the video the best you can. R&P's are very intimidating, but they are not *that* hard. It is important though, that they are set up correctly.

Good luck

If anyone has anything to add I might have forgot please do.

Oh, dont forget Loctite for the ring gear bolts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 07:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Backlash is .004-.006", in the perfect world . Make sure to get the pattern in correctly, and follow break-in procedures to the letter . After initial break in, I'd pull the driveshaft and re-check rotating torque load on the pinion bearings . They will sometimes loosen up . If the gear after break-in runs hot, something is wrong , it should never get more than warm to the touch on the housing .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. I am going to try to do the rear third mem. this weekend.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 10:37 PM

What was the deal I read here about some "special" gear pattern required. Seems some gear failures were linked to improper setup. Maybe I read it on Randy's site.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 12:19 AM
Pooh-Bah

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Maybe I read it on Randy's site.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://ringpinion.com/suzuki.shtml

Suzuki Samurai 5.38 ring &amp; pinion set up tips

It has come to our attention that many customers are experiencing gear failure with the 5.38 gear ratio in a Suzuki Samurai. Through extensive independent laboratory metallurgical testing and testing in our own shop we have determined it necessary to set these particular gears up differently!

Standard setups usually call for approximately a .052" pinion depth shim we recommend starting with a .059" to .062" pinion depth shim. Setup your gear with an ideal contact pattern, and then add approximately .007 to .010" to the pinion depth shim. This thicker shim, along with the carrier bearing adjuster preload set at 180 ft. lbs. has proven to make this particular combination more reliable.

Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion sincerely hopes this new information will help you attain longer life from your new 5.38 ring &amp; pinion set.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 02:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

good info, wish I had known it before I blew mine apart when I was still running stock axles.

Wes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode