Off Roading Forums banner

Snorkle Ideas ???

784 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Well I know I can buy the snorkle systen for like $200+ but has seen so many homemade ones. I have seem most made out of PVC pipe and some out of rain gutter(?).Anyway, I was wondering if you would like to share your ideas for snorkles ?
Do you keep the air box? and if not how do you remove it?
What kind of filter system do you run with a snorkle ?
How do you keep rain,snow,and so on out of snorkle?
(extra credit) show pictures.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Trails,

Two good people to speak to 'bout snorkles is Jay Hamvas ( Jbird88_5) and Justin D(on't know that song but if you hum a few bars...) Fender ( Muskrat). Both of these gentlemen have homemade snorkles and I am sure would be willing to share their ideas with you.

Tom
lilsammy4x4

G
#4 ·
I reposted this just a couple weeks ago, maybe I posted it up for you? Anyway, here's a link to how I made my snorkel.

http://boyracer.endoftheroad.ca/user/snorkel.htm

Also, when I tipped my Zuki over I crushed the cap on the top. I was shopping at Overton's and found a K&N air filter made for a jet ski that fits the top of my snorkel perfectly (on a coupling). For other options just open up your mind and take a walk through a big hardware store like Lowe's or home depot, slow down in the plumbing section and the section that sells parts for shop vacs.

Justin D(ares anyone to make my snorkel) Fender

G
#5 ·
If you do build your own snorkel, a great way to keep the rain out is to use a Safari snorkel ram air scoup. We do sell those separate from the rest of the it. I think they run about $60 or so.

The Ram Air scoup slips over the neck of the snorkel arm. It has a flared side with drainage grooves. This channel the rain away before it gets into your breather arm.

Its also a great way to keep engine temps down and improve power and mileage by giving your intake a mild forced air advantage (similar to what a supercharger does, lessor scale though).

Any questions, feel free to email us, rro@ditell.com

#7 ·
I'd still like to see an aftermarket snorkle kit for the weber carb that does not use the stock air cleaner. They do have the "head" or cap that goes on top of the carb for sale (60 dollars) that would work or redline stocks a weber kit that is ~~110 ish..
I'm going to be looking for options on my weber project.

G
#8 ·
I used a 4x4x6 plastic gray electrical conduit box with 2" pvc. I cut the bottom of the box to fit the weber and used an adapter that couples the box to the pvc. If anyone is interested I can post some pics tomorrow.
R/T

#9 ·
Hey,

If you lack the knowlegdge/talent to build one by yourself and you want a fairly cheap snorkle that looks really good and works really well, then go to

www.xtremezuk.com

They sell an excellent full snorkle kit for $125. I have had one on my Zuk for the last year and it has saved my engine numerous times. The kit is extremely easy to install and well thought out. Its tough as hell(rolled my Zuk on the passenger side and the didn't even scratch the snorkle.) And it looks damn good. The people are good to deal with and they'll get it to you quick. Check the site out & good luck.

Tim

33's, 4.5 SPOA, 2" SR, 3" Nationals, Revolver shackles, 4.63 hybrid axles, GRSI, snorkle, safari rack, 1.6 engine swap, crawler bumper, warn 6000, 2" header/exhaust, rock sliders, diamond plate, cb, sony system, s-10 blazer seat swap, and more stuff than you can shake a stick at.

G
#10 ·
Hey Al,
I made an internal snorkel out of Central Vac tubing. The reason I went internal was for a couple of reasons. Trees can't tear it off, weather is not an issue and you keep the stock air cleaner setup. You can get this stuff from Home Depot. The tubing is metric, because it's manufactured in Canada. The tuing is around two inches. This is basically the same size as the Sami intake that is just behind the battery. I don't know how the air intake is on the Kick, so I can't speak for it. I'll send you a link from Webshots. I'll be taking pics of the new setup shortly. The only drawback to the internal is the noise. I don't mind it, you get used to it. It works flawlessly. I put the carb under at Paragon and the carb stayed water free, I can't say the same for the engine, it took in 3 quarts........JP

G
#12 ·
junction box pics:

This could easily be turned into a snorkle system and or a ram air system, depending on the piping of the pvc. You could also put a 2" clean out "Y" with the clean out plug aimed downward to catch any water that comes into the intake, which could then be drained at your convenience. Any questions, let me know...
R/T

G
#13 ·
In reply to:

This could easily be turned into a snorkle system and or a ram air system,

[/ QUOTE ]

And also a vacuum system, put another conduit box over the filter with another pipe coming out of it attached to a vacuum hase with attachments. Makes on trail Zuki clean up easy! Cleans the dirt out of your tent while camping and you can really tidy up the trails. Just clean the filter and empty the conduit box after use.

Justin D(o I meed a patent?) Fender

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.