My poor Samurai is dieing!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

My poor Samurai is dieing!!!

It all started this morning. I went to go to my friends house and I noticed it had a bit of a powerloss, "No problem it probly nothing." I said to myself.

An hour later we went out to my other friends house to look for a tranny for my 3.8v6 swap, and it had even less power. My friend kept asking me if I was to the floor and I kept saying yes.

Then after we were done looking for a tranny we went back to my friends house and it now has even less power. When we got back to my friends house we pulled one plug wire at a time thinking(HOPING) it was just a miss fire but it wasn't.

So then I went back home for supper and it took me about a mile in forth gear to the floor to get up to 60 m/h. I thought this was getting bad so I changed the fuel filter and went back to my friends house. Well it turned out it wasn't the filter. So then we took the carb apart thinking a jet might be clooged, and the secondary jet was but that wasn't the problem either as it didn't get any better, only worse when we went to our friends house to watch a movie and when we left I could only hit 35 m/h in fourth to the floor. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] If I shifted to third I could hit 40 m/h, and fifth I didn't want to know because it just kept slowing down.

I have no idea what the problem is, so if anybody can help I will try/check just about anything. Tomorrow morning as long as it starts(knock on wood) I am going to check the compression and my valve train. I need to get it running good as this is my daily driver and don't have another vehicle to drive while I do the v6 swap.

If anyone can help me out please do, thanx.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:12 AM

Re: My poor Samurai is dieing!!!

Sounds like the engine is slowly Seizing. Did you check your oil pressure?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

My oil is up and the idiot light hasn't come on yet. I don't have the aftermarket gauge hooked up anymore. I think if it was slowly seizing it would've seized by now no. It's been running like this all day today.

Oh ya, it has 188,000 km on it providing that the gauge only went around once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 07:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Check your air filter and exhaust system to see if they are getting plugged up .
Sarge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:22 AM

What sarge said, plus check for vacuum leaks and valve adjustment. Running lean kills the
HP of these little engines. Where does your compression test at?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:59 AM
Veteran

Sounds like you need to quit mgoing to friends' houses!
Have too many friends.

Is the temp running normal?
Feel brake drums for excess heat after going a mile or so.
Jack up rig, lock in hubs, Put in 4wd Hi and spin tires by hand--
Any serious resistance?
While driving, put rig in neutural and coast.
Does it slow down as if you were applying brakes?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

She barley started today. It took me a couple of minutes to get it started. Usually it starts the second I turn the key. I did the compression test and it came out to 150psi per cylinder. It's been around there for a year now so that okay. The plugs look like it's running good. I just finished checking the valves and they were about 1-2 thou too little. Thats not much. I haven't truid it yet as the cylicone has to dry. The brakes aren't stuck on, I checked that last night.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 04:21 PM

Sounds like you have narrowed it some, I'd still look for a vacuum leak or other indication
of a lean condition. Fuel pressure, low float level, etc.

Also how's your coil? Are you getting adiquate fire to the plugs? has the timing shifted?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I think it might be the carb or the exhaust. I have the pony carb on it now. I cleaned up the stock carb tonight and am going to put it on tomorrow. I'm going to work tonight so when I get off work tomorrow morning I'll quickly loosen off my muffler before I head home to see if that's the problem.

I have plenty of spark(ouch). As I mentioned before I pulled off one plug wire at a time to see if it was a miss fire and when I did it was arcing out over a 1/2" gap from the dis.cap to the wire.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 06:25 AM

Check your catalitic converter for plugging . My buddies sami did the same thing , getting bad over a very short period of time .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode