Hub Lock-Outs? (Drive Flanges) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Hub Lock-Outs? (Drive Flanges)

Hey Guys.

Does anyone have the part numbers of the axle lockout parts that replace a hub. I was thinking that it would be alot easier to carry these as a spare than a whole hub assembly. Or even to replace the entire hub assembly with them and say good-bye to my current hubs.

Heres a couple of pics to show the parts that I mean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 09:20 PM

Re: Hub Lock-Outs?

I thought that was a 2wd axle. No? So is that a full time locked hub or something. I would suspect not very common.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:54 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Those are called drive flanges and rock crawlers use them because they are a lot stronger than a standard hub. I have no idea of where to get them, nor have I ever seen a set on a Samurai up here. Jeeps used to have them, but they will have a different bolt pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 08:14 AM

I believe they came on some Canadian Samuris. If memory serves me, young Anton was selling some awhile back. If he doesn't have any, he probably has a source for them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

No, those are definitely not 2wd hubs. The 2wd hubs are flat because they don't have axle shafts that stick out.
As Farther said they were standard equipment on some Zuks sold in Canada instead of locking hubs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 10:53 AM

It's an "automatic" hub. There's a simple cam mechanism inside that locks itself under torque - so as soon as you shift into 4x mode, it locks up. Convenient, but nowhere near the strenght of a manual hub IMHO. I've had them on my ex-87 (Canadian, eh [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) and they became a major selling point - the guy was amazed with 'em, haaahahhaaaa

No, I don't know the part number. My sugestion would be to replace it with manuals.... it should be a direct bolt-on swap.

HIH
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 11:01 AM

??? err no, no cam, no 'auto' anything. its a flat disk, w/ 6 bolt holes for the hub, and a splined center hole that accepts the 1/2 shaft. yes, they're full time. they seem to have been quite common on the SJ410's here, but I dont know if the center hole will accept Samurai shafts or not.

chris
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 12:42 PM
tintop

My Zuk seems to be one of the only ones around where I live with MANUAL hubs. All the rest that I have seen, except one, have these AUTO hubs. I thought that they are always locked and there is just no freewheel option? They are definately not from a 2WD, as I have never seen a 2WD sammi.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

What Wanderer said is right they are not auto hubs, but they are from a 4wd. They have the same effect as a manual hub that is locked all the time, but a lot simpler.

Thanks guys I thought someone may by chance have the parts #s in the sami parts bible. I'll just have to keep ringing up the wrecking yards, and guys parting out there zuks to see if I can hunt them down.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 03:28 PM

my blue Hardtop had a set of these lock-outs when I bought it. After trading for a set of manual hubs, I noticed a huge increase in mileage, less vibration on the highway and a big increase in top speed. The lock-outs let everything in the front axle and the driveshaft spin while the truck is in motion. In short, I'm glad they're not on my truck anymore. I am however using them for trail back-up pieces in case I ever blow a hub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode