How do you keep leaf springs in line? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

How do you keep leaf springs in line?

Hi all. I made my first run at Zuwharrie with the new CJ rears and rears-up-front suspension. There are no bands or clamps around my leaf spring packs, only the u-bolts keep the leaves in line. After a few rides, one of the leaves spun out of line with the others on my front springs. How do I prevent this from happening? Tighten the u-bolts super tight? Put bands around the leaf packs? Ignore it and hope it goes away? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 06:10 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: How do you keep leaf springs in line?

howdy,
to keep my leaf springs in line I YELL AT THEM. lol but really i ordered so military wraps from a jeep only vendor. works great. i payed about $20 with shipping and all.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 06:16 PM

I've got the same problem. The bottom leaf on the front pass. spring is sticking out the side about an inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 07:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sometimes, in a SPOA, when the front pass. side is drooped, and turned hard to the right, the Z-link rubs the springs and moves the bottom leaf. Happened on mine. Took a while before I found out what was happeneing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 11:33 AM

Zlink!! I don't use no stinking Zlink!! Breeze Xover for me and Mr.Surly
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 12:53 PM

When I had a hybrid leaf pack it did the same thing. I didn't find that it inhibited ride quality or performace so I did't worry about it.

Now I have yj's and I just left them all clamped up. The fronts flex just fine clamped the rears on the other hand is a different story. I think that I had more articulation when I ran rears up front, cj's in back with m/l all the way around. Now I have yj's all the way around with m/l just up front. The rear doesn't droop as much as I would like. I could prolly get a couple more inches if I unclamp the springs but I'm getting way too much axle wrap in the rear with them the way they are I don't dare unclamp them. I doesn't matter now anyway, since I'm going to coils in the rear.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 10:28 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Use a muffler clamp to get them back into line, and then leave it loose, or a little loose (or take it right off) when you hit the trail. If you put the muffler clamp on now (yes, I know it's rounded), you can tighten it down a little at a time as you drive it and the springs will come back into alignment. If you put it on so it's next to the end of one of the leaves, it'll stay pretty good by itself.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What you are looking for is a 'rebound clip'.
They are like $1.50 from anywhere that deals with leafsprings. The secret here is to hammer them on tight on the sides but then leave slack or use a rubber piece so they are not so tight on the top and bottom, that way they will still flex well and not get out of line.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 06:40 AM

I have seen this to be more of a problem with the leafs that have graphite pads than those that do not. Couple things, the u-bolts should be torqued to 50 ft lbs when the threads are clean and oiled. The king pin should also be wrenched down very tight as well. I have had this occur a few times and used a BFH on the trail to knock it back in line. I didn't have Jimmie available to yell at them for me! Another way that works is to get a 2" square u-bolt from the hardware store, one that has a flat plate on top. With the leafs in line, put the u-bolt on near the end of the offending leaf, with the threaded ends up. Slip the plate over the top, and here is the trick, drop some very stout springs over the threaded ends and tighten them down some with the nuts to provide tension. To keep it in place, I have tack welded it to the leaf on the bottom, a couple tacks near the end won't hurt the spring. These are manufactured and available from spring shops, but most of the time they are flat on the bottom and riveted in place. Sometimes they are just legs that stick up from the sides, take a look at your factory overloads, same thing.

HTH

TGT - NCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode