Fuel Pump/Gauge question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fuel Pump/Gauge question

OK, Here it goes. I think I have an electrical problem but not for sure. I recently bought a 91 Samurai, because it has a pefect body and came with EFI.
The part that I am curious about. Are the fuel pump and fuel guage in the same electrical cuircut? I do not hear the Fuel pump turning, and the gas gauge is on rock bottom, even after pouring 2 gallons of gas in the tank.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looks like it is time to buy a FSM. Never really needed one with my 86. Working on it seems to be all pretty simple stuff.
Oh yeah, I am going to definately KILL the buzzer.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:20 AM

Re: Fuel Pump/Gauge question

The fuel pump is in the gas tank. The best way to see if the fuel pump is running is to remove the gas cap and listen down the filler tube. The fuel pump only runs a few seconds (without starting the engine) when the key is turned on so you have to be quick to get in position to listen.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Addict

The pump is in the tank and in my '94 I never hear it running. My gauge reads empty with at least a couple gallons still left in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Veteran

Mine reads fine with a couple of gallons in the tank.
The problem that I have is : When I fill-er-up, The gague goes down past empty.
The fuel sender in the tank has a coil type resister that the float arm rides on. If this coil is damaged. or the float arm is bent, You will get erratic readings at your fuel gague. Or, you will get the same symptoms that I am getting. The only reliable fix is to drop the tank and replace the sender.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

UPDATE
This is what I have found out so far. The fuse for the pump is good. So is the pump relay. I have added 2 more gallons of gas (all I have handy is a 2 gallon fuel can)
The fuel gauge still no workie... I do not hear and noise coming from the fuel tank.
I used a can of starting fluid and the engines tries to start.
I checked the diagnostic code and keep getting a code 12.
Could the fuel gauge and the fuel pump be on the same electrical cuircut? could the two problems be related?

I know the only real way to tell is drop the tank, but I was hoping someone could tell me what and where to check electrically, before I drop the tank.

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 07:20 PM

As I know it's not on the same cuircut.
A common problem for the pump and the guage would be a bad ground on the gaz tank.
But for me the most obvious is that the coil of the gaz sensor is dead (saw only a few one working) and your pump is dead too.

you can check if your pump have current with a tester and you can disconnect the fuel filter and see if pressurized fuel come out when the pump is (should be) running
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 07:51 PM

Hey Eric.........Did you drop in the disty I sold you???
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Todd,
The disty looks like it is working, thanks. Now if I can just seem to figure out why I am not getting fuel to the engine I think I con begin the build-up of this one. i think I will be going Spoa with the 91 and stay spua with the 86. I like the way the 86 handles and all.
I was looking at the spoa kits and I think I will be going with the cross over steering, panhard bars and such but keep the lift to about 6 or 7 inches. What springs are you running with your Spoa?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode