shaking sammie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shaking sammie

The samurai is shaking at speeds 45 mph. to 50 mph. The steering wheel is going right to left then when speed is faster than 50, the shaking stops. I was thinking that if it was a tire that it would shake at slower speed. But I could be wrong. I was bouncing around today in the rain in the samurai and went to a weight station to see what samurai would weight in at and it is 2100lbs stock full tank of gas. It feels like the rear end is shaking and is all over the road. This samurai is all stock and I don't think that all of the suzuki samurai ride like this. Draven
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:02 PM

Re: shaking sammie

When mine did that I changed the felt and seals (they were completely shot no rubber or felt left) This solved my problem.
While I was at it I also changed my king pin bearings so not to have to worry about them.
Was it the felts or the bearings for me it was both.

Also check your steering stablizer and see if it is still good and not leaking fluid or nothing like that.

I know it was not the steering stablizer that was bad on mine cause I never put it back on [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and my steering wheel does not wobbleback and forth anymore.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:23 PM

Take it to a reputable shop ---READ:NOT A CHAIN STORE!-- SPECIALIZING in wheel balancing and suspension repair a few bucks spent on a proper checkout can save you $100's on trying stuff and saves you time in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 01:48 PM
HankS

I'm betting kingpin bearings.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 06:57 PM

The other guys covered all the possible sources but 2.

Toe not set correctly. (this will make it want to wander)

Castor not at 3.5 deg or more.

Losing the castor can occur if the front springs have settled badly, but I think tire balance, toe setting
or bad steering damper, in that order. I have heard of several guys solving the problem with the felts
and rubbers on the back seals, which just becomes a crude steering damper.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You forgot the adjustment screw on the steeting gear box. Steering dampener, felts+rubber, wheel bearings, king pin bearings, wheel is bad, tire is bad, out of balance, hub(s) may enguaged (stuck), or an alignment problem.
I can't think of anything else.
It'll be dificult to find a GOOD shop that knows about the little odd things
on the samurais.
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey folks,

long time no speak (from me that is), been mega busy.

I've got a similar problem but only at slower speeds or slowing down. the front end shakes so badly it feels like it's gunna fall right off the rig.

I hadn't thought about the felt seals, but that's only because I changed them less than 6 months ago and look to be in good nick from external viewing.

I guess I'll check out the steering box and steering damper. toe in, castor, alignment, balancing have all been done in the past 3 months (and no wheelin since then).

Hope I can figure out the problem as it's scaring the crap out of me.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 05:17 AM

I had the same thing happening to me this past summer. Steering wheel was shaking like crazy between 45 and 50 mph. When we finished the spoa we pulled the drivers side apart and found the wheelbearing was shot! I should have checked the kingpin bearing while I was in there but I didn't. The new wheel bearing worked like a charm stopped the shaking by about 98% I figured either the tire not being balanced or the kingpin being a little worn accounted for the 2% wobble I had left, but I only notice it only when I look for it. Hope this helps.

Matt
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 07:46 AM
Cap34

Don't rule out the tire balance because of the speed. My Cherokee was shaking violently between 55 and 60, and that's what it was. If a weight has fallen off your wheel, you may be able to see the spot where it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode