Front Shock Mountings~above or below?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Front Shock Mountings~above or below??

Well now that I've got all the welding completed on my SPOA... I go and read mykwillisrn's post on the front missing link thread and notice that many pics are showing the front shock mountings ABOVE the axle housing... mine (per RRO directions) are BELOW the axle mounting...

Now I don't wanna be retentive about this guys. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].. but perhaps I could get the facts before I finish bolting everything up.

BTW, what about bump stops? I've read that they need to be there cuz of spring warp... yet the RRO package doesn't mention anything about them... and rockrat did custom fabs on his rig.
What's the scoop on these? Can/should I run without any bumpstops?

Thanks,
billybob_CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:44 PM

Re: Front Shock Mountings~above or below??

YEA!!!!!! give us the scoop!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:17 PM

Hey BB,
You can do it either way. Above or below. Here is why. When a lot of people do a SPOA, they use the stock shocks and use the stock shock mount welded to the spring plate. This is fine but limits your wheel travel. By moving it below, it allows you to use a longer shock and therefore gives you longer wheel travel/articulation. This is the main reason for a SPOA in the first place. MORE ARTICULATION!
As for bumpstops. It really depends on your springs. A lot of "aftermarket" springs are so stiff you would never have to worry about wraping it. It you have a flex monster, you need a bumpstop to save your springs. You can fab them from just about anything. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 09:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

NC hit it right on the head the only reason I fabbed is when I did the original rears up front It pushed the axle forward enough that the top shock mount was to far back and the shock hit the bump stop on the frame so I cut the little bugger off and moved it forward also, Then when the YJS went on the front it moved further forward yet with the help of me redrilling the spring pack another 1" forward, so I cut the bump stop off alltogether. then I wellded brackets on top of the axle similiar to a toy, I notched the top plates to conform to the shock body that way under any type of flex the shock doesnt get mangled, and there out from under the axle getting bashed to hell I also fabbed the top hoop which got cut into the fender wells to fit the shock up there, but ford towers could have been used( IE) had the time to fab myself and I was already in the hole for that month no what I mean
as far as the bump stops I purchaced a set of Rancho 4.5x3x 2.25 rubber mounts to go on top of the spring plate but there still sittin in the box.. dont needem now with coil overs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode