New Kick well Niva anyway.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

New Kick well Niva anyway..

Was just poking around and found this:

Chevy-Niva?
http://www.vaz.ru/chniva.htm
Can't read any of it but looks pretty cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New Kick well Niva anyway..

Sweet, my new truck! No not a car! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 09:16 AM

Yeah, that is the new overseas "Tracker" replacement that will be built by Niva which is a Russian car manufacturer. It is funny, they really zinged GM, GM had them sign a non-compete clause not to sell the car under any other name, and they said okay, but we need a long term contract. GM said okay, sign here and Niva did, and then while GM was all smiles, Niva took the funds from having long term contracts, and designed a more advanced competitor to the one they are going to build for GM! And GM's contracts has minimum production numbers which Niva went to the bank on! Oh how funny... Anyway, if anyone has something in Russian they want translated, let me know as my wife speaks Russian.

TGT - NCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Tim, Sorry we missed you at Zuwharrie. Maybe next time. Looks like a Kia to me in a weird sort of way. I would be interested in the drivetrain setup though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 10:28 AM

I guess I should put in $0.02 on this one [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] essentially, these are the newest generation of the beast I drive.

drivetrain is a 1.8 MPFI, with an optional 2.0 MPFI available in russia. Only available transmision is a 5 speed manual, which is reportedly stronger than in older models ( they were fiat based, and blowing trannies was part of why I changed drivelines). t-case is a divorced, full time unit. IFS, live axle rear, coils all around. ( real coils, not struts) all components are built by Autovas, who trade under the 'Lada' badge in most countries...Niva is just the model name. I have it from a friend in Russia that they will NOT be coming to the N.American market, as smog, and airbag laws would require major changes. fwiw, the guys with Nias like mine who've driven these newer models have been less than impresed - the longer wheelbase, bigger ( and heavier) motor, and interior trim really screw up their off-road ability. only bonus is that some of the latest changes have smoothed out the driveline a bit for on-road use. ( all CV shafts, for example, no U joints at all)

and one last thought - I went down to the local Saturn dealership last week, and parked next to the new Vue's....while the 'Chevy Niva' as a model may not be coming to N.America, I'd say that the Vue is based very heavilly on the new Niva shell, but uses the European Opal driveline found on some Autovas works desert racing trucks.....

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode