Sidekick: Straight axle -VS- 3 inch Calmini susp. - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sidekick: Straight axle -VS- 3 inch Calmini su

For me it is a case of been there and done that. Dont kid yourself if you think you can just bolt up the Calmini kit and go wheel with the big boys. Dont get me worng here I really like the Calmini kit but it isnt as dependable as a sas is going to be.

EVERY stock steering component has been bent or broken on my rig(daily driver,) 2 axle housings, cv shafts I gave up on fixing, rear heim joint( replace with a sealed unit.)
If you are going to buy it and run it please gusset and reiforce ALL the weak areas. If you dont you wont be able to catch up.

I figure for what I have invested in the Calmini lift I can do a SAS with Toyota axles on leaf springs for less than what the lift cost me. While I'm at it I am going to do a Engine swap and tranny swap at the same time. We are building a custom low bed trailer to haul out SJ410 around. And we need the adjustability of the solid axle setup.

I would buy the lift again ONLY if I was going to lightly wheel it. You have to strengthen the steering for any religability. Skid pans are a must and rock sliders too.

Oh yeah my lift is up for sale if you are interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 01:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Maybe I can help clarify the Anvil axle (since I will be putting one in soon).

The Anvil will not cure the "broken diff" syndrome so typical on Kicks. The cure for that is problem to use a steel 3rd member housing from a manual tranny GV. This is the only REAL fix for the problem.

As for the Anvil, this serves two purposes. One, it get away from the weak aluminum housing and replaces it with a plate steel unit. Two, it eliminates the weak passenger side "floating" inner stub. It replaces the stub with a bearing supported inner shaft (same as the driver's side).

In order to use the Anvil, you would need to get a 26 spline driver side inner shaft from a 96-98 1.6 Japan-built Kick, and an extra driver's side CV shaft.

Going to the 26 spline over the early 22 spline greatly increases strength, especially if you use a locker. Also, since the CV shafts on both sides will be the same, you only need to carry one spare part. And changing a CV shaft takes only 10-15 mins. This leaves the CV shaft as the fuse, and at $80 a shaft with lifetime warranty at Autozone, it's not a worry. Ask Kerry Wittig about it (if you could), he's exchanged a few for free. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fact is, IFS will never be the flex monger that a radical SAS could be. However, that doesn't mean IFS can't be wheeled and WHEELED HARD! A lot folks with 33", SPOA & locked Sammies will have a hard time following Kerry in his IFS Kicker. I've walked over things in my lifted GV that gives grief to a Sammy.

Remember, it's not the wand, it's the magician.

HTH,
post #23 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Happy_Trails

Well here are my options:
Calmini 3 inch susp. kit( seems alot breaks here )
If I go with the above it seems I will need "THE ANVIL" and 26 spline axles and extra cv's

RRO 2.5 susp.: this seems to be coils and struts and spacers and is suppose to be better then the calmini kit.
They are also coming out with a 6 inch kit in the winter. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Straight axles: this seems to be the way everyone is going but it cost the most and takes the most time.

3 inch body lift and 30's:this is probably what I'll do for now. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] <font color="black"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 06:24 PM
Frog

I did it my way with 2" Daystar spacers for J**p TJ, mustang shocks in the back and custom made strut spacers up front. Total cost...100$ and I can run 235/75 with no rubbing.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am running 30's on my stocker 2 door on sami rims,
AT tires. Evan twisted up (As much as a stocker can) no rub.
But it looks low [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
It all comes down to what you do wheeling. I am on the
high end and my buildup will show that.
Re: Kerry, He replaces lots of shafts, I for one don't like replacing broken parts on the trail.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:11 AM
Happy_Trails

<font color="black"> </font color> Many moons ago, I owned an 87 Sammi hardtop. All I did to it was 235 Trailhandlers and Trail Master shocks.I would drive that thing just about anywhere. So........for now it will be the 3 inch body lift and some 30's.

I'd like to thank everyone for the input and information you have shared.....Alan <font color="black"> </font color> [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode