Sidekick: Straight axle -VS- 3 inch Calmini susp. - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Happy_Trails

Re: Sidekick: Straight axle -VS- 3 inch Calmini su

Hummmmmm...well from what I'm hearing so far is that the IFS sucks. It seems everyone is saying that the IFS will break. So if thats the case, why do they make it? and why do so many buy it ? I guess I'll just wait. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] <font color="black"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:12 PM

Well in about 2 years and only about 10-12 wheelin trips I went thu about 6 CV shafts.. and fianlly split the 3rd member in half.. 4 of th4 6 CV's were pre-pro-comp too.. just a 1" spacer.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:51 PM

i wouldnt give up thaat easy on the ifs. its definatly more prone to breakage than a solid axle but from what i have seen it depends on what you plan on building it to do or doing with it. in my opinion the whole problem with the ifs kit is it does not drop the front housing enough cause of the way the kicks and trackers factory mounting position is made. to make a 3 inch kit that drops the front housing down to keep the axle shafts at the stock angles would call for some serious fabricating to the stock mounting position for the houseing cause it would be in the way with only lowering it 3 inches. in my opinion the angles of the shafts and not enough support to the aluminum houseing is what is causeing all the breakage. dont mark my words but i have heard of a 6 inch suspention kit comming out soon that lowers the front housing to keep the stock front angles to the shafts so you dont just gain more up travel by sacrifising down travel. i mean you realy arent going to gain articulation by taking away the dropping ability of an axle. its kind of the same idea as the lifts for the ifs chevy trucks .like i said though i have heard about this 6 inch suspention kit from a few people and do know it will be out but dont know when. and again this is just my opinin and what i have heard. IM NOT TRYING TO START A WAR!!! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:39 PM
Happy_Trails

Well I did hear or see something about a 6 inch kit.( rocky road I think ) I'd think that if it worked right more companys would sell it besides Calmini and if SO many are having problems with it that they would change it. I know that the IFS is cheaper in the beginning but if I'm going to be buying axles and cv's it's not worth it. I have not heard anyone so far say they have not broken anything with the IFS. It seems anyone who has it breaks axles or cv's or something.So I'll wait till they improve it or have money for something better. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] <font color="black"> </font color>
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 07:11 AM

There is "The Anvil" also.. This will fix the breaking axle housing problem, and carry an extra CV shaft or two and you'll be golden.

If I were going to build another tracker i'd keep it small anyway.

2" RRO Body Lift
1" Coil Spacer
Locked rear
skid plates galore!
235's or 30x9.5 and wheel the crap outta it!
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 07:24 AM
Happy_Trails

Well I think for now I'll do the 3 inch Body lift and throw on some 30's and see how it handles. Who knows, I may like it just that way. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] <font color="black"> </font color>
post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:23 AM

After the body lift get some 1" coil spacers, flip your strut mounts up front and get some longer (Mustang GT) rear shocks too. You'll be pretty happy. Mine wheeled great that way, and rode same as stock.

Here's mine: 3" calmini body, 1" spacers, 15x8's and 30x9.5's
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well I will have spares for you this spring [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Suzuki and GM made these for road use and mild wheeling,I Love my stock tracker, and will probley buy another for a daily driver if the WeaselMK3 is too much to daily drive once done.
They are made for 215's not 31" tires or 33" tires.
If you rebuild them for offroad you have to expect this.
even Jeeps have the same sort of problems with axles, thats
why the dana 44 swap is so commen with them.
If I was to stay IFS I would make my own replacment for the
diff housing and get custom axles make that are bigger.
but frankly for real hardcore Offroad IFS sucks. (Rocks baby)
Thats why I asked you what you want to do with it. for bolt in Calmini can set you up with thier parts and you can keep the IFS and it should last longer.
But for me it isn't worth the money and it would still not have the articulation the toy axles and coils will in the end.

SO If 30-31" is okay them buy the replacment bits as you go and bring spares. you may be surprised and quite happy with
the rig.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:05 AM
Happy_Trails

Nice rig! Are those BFG's ? I had someone tell me to go with those if I was going to have a daily driver....Alan [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] <font color="black"> </font color>
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:07 AM

30x9.5 BFG All-Terrains, excellent road tire, good off road too, only thing is they are not that goo din gooey mud. I'd also say stick with a 7" wheel with a 9.50 too. I only had 8" cuz I got a sweet deal on em new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode