stock carb vs webber vs EFI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

stock carb vs webber vs EFI

I'm still struggling with my carb and EGR valve. The used EGR valve hasn't shown up yet. What are your feelings about the stock carb, Webber and EFI? What gains or pros should I expect from each? Cons? And how difficult is it to do any swap? Will a cam or header work equally with all?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:24 AM

Re: stock carb vs webber vs EFI

EFI! EFI! EFI!..... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

EFI rules, you don't have any cold winter start problems, you can have the truck running even when its resting on its top... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
and you can jump with your truck without taking the chance to crack your float of your carb, or mess up the adjustements of them. And yes, Cam, header and other stuff will work with it, as they are only related to your engine itself. If you just swap the Intake stuff for EFI and not the engine, everything will work. I had a carb, and I just swapped a few months ago for EFI. Its a little bit of work, but for what it does, its worth it. Also, if you plan on going for a 1.6L Block later on, the swap becomes a real easy task once you have already swapped the EFI on it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:25 AM

oh, forgot to tell you that throttle response at low rpm's has increased somewhat noticably also. another good side of EFI... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As far as I know header works great with EFI, cam is less effective, but great with webber especially if you get one that throws more. One thing with the Webber is that if you don't run a regulator it can flood easily either up or down hill depending on which way you mount the fuel bowl. Petroworks sells it the cheapest I've seen as a kit, and they sell regs too. Stock carb can run at insane angles and is usually reliable. Of course EFI is the same way but you have to wire it in and use a different puter. It's best to just get the whole harness along with the puter and throttle body when you swap them in. Asuming the doner is running fine. As far as HP and torque goes nothing beats the webber on a zuk short of maybe the sidedraft carbs out there. Efi will net you 2-3 HP more weber will give you around 10-12. Sarge on this board is a pro at getting the right jets for your app. I heard they run like a dream if you get them set up properly. The main advantage of keeping stock type induction is that the comp tunes the EFI or Carb, whereas the Webber uses to screws to adjust mixture. Me personally, I'm lookin at getting webber when my stocker dies which at this rate I don't think it ever will, but I've thought about EFI, Aftermarket 4x4 sells whole systems for a very reasonable price if I remember correctly. Alotta people will bash the Webber, but I've heard many good things too, especially if this is gonna be a DD, otherwise stock carb and EFI work great on the trail. I've driven my Sammi up stuff I couldn't walk up and it's never flooded on me. Good luck with your research. Like anything there are many pro's and cons to each. Just decide whether you want trailworthiness (EFI/Stock), streetability (Webber), or a little bit of both (Talk to Sarge on this board). Hope this helps. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Plain and simple, if Carbs were the better way to aspirate a motor, all cars would have them. EFI is really the best way to go. I've seen WAY to many carb'd Zooks sputter and stall out going up a hill. Not good. And as Yannik said, an EFI will run upside down. Trust me, I know this for certain! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Some folks will argue that their carb is "da bomb", mainly because they have a carb and misery loves company. LOL! But EFI is way better than any carb set up I've ever seen. I think everyone who is EFI/TBI will agree with me here.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:41 PM
GRW

EFI, Hands down.
The stock carb is tuff to beat.
I had a webber on my FJ40, it was ok.
Would I put one on my sami, no.
I plan on EFI for my new project.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:45 PM
pugrocker

I had a stock carb, a weber and now I that I am fuel injected I would never go back to carbs.....my $.02

EFI or die
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 01:05 PM
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Plain and simple, if Carbs were the better way to aspirate a motor, all cars would have them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Following that logic one would also have to conclude that the new breed of SUVs equipped with AWD, IFS, no Low Range, and no ground clearance are superior to our dying breed of 4WD.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

I love my Weber. It has been a dream. It is easy to tune and setup(not according to some). EFI would be ideal if it can be set up properly and that the cost can be worth it.(What you get out of the EFI versus what you put into it)

I am not an expert on EFI, but I do love my Weber(I think I said that already). I think it ultimately depends on how much money that you want to spend. If your stock set up is fine, "don't fix it if it ain't broke".

Jim
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 03:53 PM
norgeman

EFI is the greatest thing since canned beer! when it works if it fails for any reason you're walking out.A carb is basically a controlled feul leak, but it can be made to work with anything from a large hammer to a small prayer!if need be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode