new guy with clutch trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

new guy with clutch trouble

Hey, I've already read lots of tips for keepin my zuki's runnin good. I have 3 zuks, 88 sami,94 kick,02 xl7. I'm having trouble with the samurai clutch, its a centerforce with only 15000 or 20,000 miles on it. I've got it adjusted up pretty tight. It work fine when it's cold but gets tough to shift when its warm. How tight is too tight? thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:43 AM

Re: new guy with clutch trouble

First of all...what's with the screen name? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Maybe my mind is in the gutter, but come on! LOL

As far as the clutch, I've heard that the Centerforces can be a little stiff. You might want to try to keep changing the adjustment on the cable 'till you find something you can live with. Also, have you pulled the shifter out to make sure your locator bolt is still there? That could be part of your problem as well. Good luck, and welcome to our hangout.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 02:05 AM

if you have run the cable too tight for too long it will cause excesive wear. it is a possibility the clutch is shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:26 AM

The Kick/Tracker clutch is supposed to be about 1/2 to 3/4" of play at the pedal, I suspect the Sammi is similar. Also, pull the cable flange off the firewall and make certain the firewall itself is not cracked and flexing at the bolt holes.

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine when my Tracker's firewall was cracked. Mine had to be plated with some sheet stock and now all is well.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Oh gosh!! Change that "s" to a "z" in your nick name!!!
I too would like to know about clutch adjustment.
1. What is the clutch arm adjustment for?
2. What is the clutch cable bracket on the engine for?
3. Are there more clutch adjustments??
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:22 AM

Same problem here. '87 Zuk, stock clutch works fine-UNTIL IT WARMS UP! Then it sticks like crazy. This just started happening recently and I can't figure it out without tearing into it,which I've been putting off for a complete engine swap. What does the warm-up have to do with the clutch? Maybe throw-out bearing friction?(My firewall seems to be OK) Anybody?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can't seem to change my username without another e-mail account so I guess I'll have to live with it. My shifter bolt is Okay as this shifting problem has came and gone before and the shifter is tight. The firewall looks good and
I had a good 1" to 2" of freeplay before this last round of trouble and I took up the slack.Has anybody had trouble with the clutch cable stretching? Thanks for the feedback.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here's the scoop on the clutch adjustment deal, guys:

Go to the URL in my signature and look at the contents on the left side of the page.

Under "The Fixit Files" heading you will find a PDF file with all the info on clutch adjustments for the Samurai/SJ 413

Don't have Adobe's free PDF reader?

There is a link to that too!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem on my centerforce gold. Turned out I had a busted pressure plate (beats me how it happened) The clutch disc itself was still good though hence it being hard to shift. If you adjust the cable properly, and you still have a hard time shifting then it's prolly that or your throwout bearing. What happened was when the engine was cold there was enough of a clearence between the flywheel and disc that it would slip and I could still shift. When it warmed up the disc would grip the flywheel adn I couldn't shift. The problem being the pressure plate not allowing the disk to go all the way back.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

I always have clutch trouble. The clunking sometimes when I let it out. Oddly though I am only on my second stock clutch with 120K on my Zuk. I even smoked the clutch once, but it kept going. I think the second was put in at about 110K miles. I probably need to learn how to adjust the foolish thing.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode