Small Zukes going Obsolete? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Small Zukes going Obsolete?

I have been noticing a trend toward bigger and bigger Zukes. At Zookin2K1 I was only 1 of 3 Zukes that were smaller <31 tires SPUA. I the only one on 235's. Looking through posts of Zuwharrie and Zookin2K2 I don't see many if any smaller Zukes. Are the little guys like me going to be obsolete? Will there always be room at the big runs for the little guy? I know stock Zukes do well offroad just want to know that the trails won't be too much for us LiL guys. Thanks. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 01:49 PM
pugrocker

Re: Small Zukes going Obsolete?

I couldn't take it anymore that is why I am going SPOA with either 31s or 32s [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

guess I have a napoleon complex
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We all wheeled small to begin with, but for some reason or another we just progress, and progression is usually going bigger. SPOA affords good ground clearance and articulation, and while you're up there you might as well have 31" or taller tires. On my way to Zuwharrie I had 33" tires on my Zuki, and had to replace them in route to the event, instead of replacing them with 33"s I wenbt back to my previous 31"s because I was never not able to do anything I wanted with my old 31"s. Don't be afraid to wheel stock, I have a lot of respect for newbies trail riding stock, and even more respect for oldies still riding stock! I have heard of some secret plans of people wheeling stockers at Zukimelt... until they are destroyed!

Justin D(on't tell anyone) Fender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm still and will always be 29" super swampers SPOA'd, a friend of mine will be wheeling with me that is bone stock. Hey may go 235's on spua to get some more agressive tires.
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 02:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I loaned my tin top to a friend for Zookin' Y2K2. It's running 29" swampers, and probably always will. There was a XL7 on 27"s and a GV on 29"s. I think there were some others with 30" or less.

Jim, there will always be newbies and those who want sensible trail rigs. Hmmmm, this maybe a calling for you. How about you being the trail leader next year and bring the stock/mild/scared on runs?

I have a blast bringing the "little" Zooks on runs, and is why I volunteer to lead them. If we all wheeled with just "big dogs", it would become exclusionary real fast. Talk about male penis issues if you are running 29"s and everyone else is 33"s or bigger. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] There were folks to help and guide me when I was "small" so it's only right that I pay it forward.

I love to see the exicited (and plain "Oh Shiit!") looks on folks faces the first time they try a challenging obsticle, or the look of accomplishment when they successfully negotiate it. The satisfying feeling I get when someone shakes my hand and says, "Thanks, I never thought I could drive up something like that" is more than enuff thanks.

I like being part of that. I still think that good trail leading of newbies is essential if we are going to watch our sport and hobby grow. No one wants to break stuff (Except maybe Kerry, Jim and Craig [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), and breaking stuff on easy trails is a sure fire way to scare away new folks.

To answer your questions. No, you are not obsolete. Yes, for the events (read: not a weekend run) I am involved with, there will always be a novice run. I think it's essential to share. In fact, it's the stockers that are the most important people, as they are the "next generation" of Zookers.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 02:31 PM

i went from 215 -75 -51 to spoa and kept them for a while till i went to 31 x10.50 thinking of going down to 29 x11.50 super swampers i want wide more than tall my gears were great but the 31 in tires have it off again so i am looking at smaller tires or regear and i need new tires any ways
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 02:35 PM

Bigger is always better, but then again I am biased because I am a Texan...
Fuel Injected doesnt hurt either... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 02:45 PM
Happy_Trails

Well I use to own a 87 sammi hardtop and all I did to it was better shocks and 235 trail handlers. That truck would go just about anywhere the other trucks would go.Of course your have the ground clearance issue but you learn to live with it.
Now I own a 93 Sidekick and it's bone stock with street tires. I took it off road 1st time last Saturday. I had a blast with it.I was surprised at the places it could go and got use to hearing the frame bounce off rocks.(LOL)
If you know how to drive then stock isn't so bad. I wanna go bigger with mine but isn't going over 32/33....Alan [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] <font color="black"> </font color>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Samurai is running 29 x 10.50 Tsl/Sx's. And now that I have a locker in the rear, I am finding that I can put it just about anywhere I want to.
I ran 215/75 goodyears for awhile before I went with the swampers. So, I really do not think that the little guy will be obsolete. That is where I am at and am quite comfortable there.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 04:41 PM

well i have a pretty well set up zuk, but it is too nice to wheel any more so i have retired it from trail duty.

my new project is a $100 bomber zuk which i will pound the $hit out of. i am NOT going to lift it, just welded diffs front and rear, cut up wheel wells, 235 size mt's and stock gearing and lots of body damage. so i will again be the small guy!

i helped my best friend set up a budget zuk last week....his cost was $150 for a beat-to-heck zuk that was already spoa and minus the engine. we cut out the wheel wells, rocker panels, installed a $100 motor, and borrowed a set of 33 inch super swampers and it performed very well last weekend at the 4x4 run.

big or small, these zuks seem to wheel pretty good with a few cheap modifications!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode