Rear Shocks, Where are you attaching them? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Rear Shocks, Where are you attaching them?

OK now that i've read the little thing that jimzuki posted on shock mountings it got me to thinking. I'm right in the middle of finishing up my SPOA on my 88 daily driver. I understood that mounting the rear shocks in an 'A' position allows for good flex and easy ride. My question is; have any of you changed the lower rear shock mountings to the front of the rear axle housing instead of the rear of the rear axle housing? From my calculations I think that the rear upper bar that I have mounted should allow for the 1.5"-2" foward move of the lower rear mounts... but I've started to question the angle vs the ability of the shock to compress and extend freely.

Any experiences with this change?

Oh yeah, I'm using DT shocks...

Thanks,
billybob_CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 02:12 AM

Re: Rear Shocks, Where are you attaching them?

in theory there is no difference where you mount your shocks. the only difference is that they help to avoid spring warp - as i know. when you look at cherokees, they mount their rear shocks on different sizes, the one in front the other on the rear side of the axle....

when i had to redesign my shock-mounting system due to cj springs in the rear and moving the axle 1" backward i mounted them infront. now the angle for the shocks seems to be perfect.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 05:05 AM

It depends on the type of upper rear mount you are using and your final axle position. A lot of the upper rear mounts on the market push the top shock mounting point forward about 1" to 1.5". If your axle has moved backwards an 1", this would keep the vertical plane of the mounting near correct with the shocks behind the axle. If the axle has not moved rearward then it creates some bind in the shock eye bushings. Your axle or the top mount would need to move an appropriate amount to keep this plane near vertical. Due to the width of the axle, this would be a significant location change of about 3" either at the top or rearward axle movement or a combination of both. From your description of your mount, I think simply moving the pin location to the front of the axle would result in more bind than benefit. My current suspension setup I am working on has the rear axle in it's normal position and the shocks mounted behind the axle at the bottom. It is mounted at the top on our multi position mount that only moves the mounting point forward by about 1/2" and the shocks are canted full inboard. My axle will drop fully when unloaded, even without the tire weight to fully extend the 32" DT800o shocks. With the shocks canted, it actually allows for more drop than if they were vertical since the shock is working through an arc instead of a straight line. This creates a an offset ratio, i.e. the axle drops 1" and the shock extends .75" (figures used for comaprison, not an exact figure). If you have the suspension flex or your shocks are limiting you, it might be more advantageous to move the lower point to the top of the axle and gain benefits there.

HTH

TGT - NCO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OK... so here's the skinny... IT MATTERS WHERE YOU MOUNT THE LOWER REAR SHOCK MOUNTS!

(rant on)
After all is said and done there are many people that speak without knowledge. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I don't ususally rant, but after as much trouble as I have gone through and as many different sources that I have inquired with, I am thouroughly disenchanted with the LACK of expertise returned to me. The major opinion was that it really doesn't matter where you mount the lower shock mounts... well nobody took into consideration the location of the brake hoses! Yeah sure you can mount the lower shock mounts in front of the rear axle but 3 things happen... 1) the brake hoses interfere with the full articulation of the shock... 2) the stress on the upper shock bushings is SEVERE... 3) the lower shock body touches the axle housing. (easily overcome)
Not to mention the price of the 'kit' that I purchased... I don't mind paying if the stuff is engineered well, but hey now, I've had to "custom fit" almost every piece of the SPOA kit that I purchased... what value is there in that?? If I wanted to spend the time in fabrication I wouldn't have spent the $ for the 'kit' DUH... I will be notifying the company of the long list of shortcomings.

So now I must remove the lower shock mounts to re-weld them to the rear of the axle housing... [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] :mad
(rant off)

to those of you that fab stuff...:
here's a great idea, how about fabbing a rear upper shock mounting plate that not only allows for the OE misalignment of the stock shocks... but also something that allows the plate to be mounted further forward on the stock OE top mounts..

Hey Shrock... this would be a piece of cake for you.. and you could prolly sell dozens... I'm sure that they would be superior to the various ones available now.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 10:13 AM

try something like this mount where u want front or rear uses a standard 5/8 bolt so they can match the width of your shock bushings and i havent been able to break the 5/8 bolts yet but they are replaciable if i ever do i have a set of rears around here some where and a pair of passenger fronts oops made 2 of the same but i havent seen them for a while let me know if you are interested i can send you specks or i could look for the ones i have some where

or a better pix got to look 4 that 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 929587-rear shock mounts 2.jpg (43.7 KB, 63 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 04:25 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
this is the same thing i have come across. i want to run my shocks one in front and one behind. just like the old gm's do. also i am moving my axle back one inch. and all this has led up to my choosing to get different perches, lower shock mounts, different axle housings, moving my brack line up onto the frame with rubber hoses running down to my rear disc brakes, and designing my own upper shock mount after i cut the stock one off. just to let you know, if you don't like the way things are going, make the change for just you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 04:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Billy,
If it is just a standard SPOA with stock springs, just call Gary at Petroworks and he'll hook you up.

When I had my stock SPOA. I used the the stock upper, and mounted shock pins (like petros) on the back of the tube where the stock lowers "would be".
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 07:11 PM

I had my shock pins on the front of the rear housing for along time. It worked fine for a while but when I started to get into rockcrawling I found that the shock mount will drill into the boulders and hang me up instead of sliding off like they would if they were on the back of the axle.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 02:46 AM

billy bob, i have found the exact same thing with everything i have purchased! i had to custom fab almost every peice i have bought. it is really irritating to spend that money on nice new stuff only to cut and weld it. good luck! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well then...

So at least I'm in good company!!! The manufacturer is all ears and is striving to make improvements to the design and fitment... as far as the lower shock mounts

szki272 : Yeah I like that idea... where did you get that sleeve from?

jimsuki: I now know that I can expect to spend a good deal of time just doing what I like to my rig and to do it right takes time... At least I'll be able to share with any of the rookies from what I've learned.

Bill4rest... Yeah PetroWorks Rocks... those guys have been right on with everything that I've inquired about so far.

Thanks to you all for the input and support... I'll be happy to post a before & after when all is good.. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode