check engine light @ 120,000 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

check engine light @ 120,000

First of all, I just want to say I'm so glad I found you again! My hard drive crashed and I've been searching for this site for months. Second, I'm new to bulletin boards, so I apologize in advance for any etiquette errors. I have a 93 suzuki sidekick jx 4x4. Does anyone know why the Check Engine Light goes on at 120,000 miles? T <font color="blue"> </font color> ried unsuccessfully to get the onboard diagnostic thing by the battery to work. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 12:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: check engine light @ 120,000

that light is programmed to come on at certain times. There is a switch under the dash that you flick to turn it off. Not sure where it is on a sidekick but it will be the only one you see under there
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, but I'm trying to figure out why it was programmed to go on at 120,000 miles, i.e. what am I supposed to check/change. For example, 50k means PCV valve, 80k is oxygen sensor, 100k is replace trans. fluid. Vehicle is running okay (I'm now at 122k) but seems to be lacking power going up hills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 01:26 PM

Your check engine light comes on then because Suzuki suggest that you have the vehicle "checked out" by a factory authorized Suzuki mechanic. The light usually comes on at 60,000;110,000; and 170,000 miles. If you've checked your oil, changed your lubes, checked the sparkplugs, radiator, air filter, and that kind of stuff, then you can save alot of money over taking it in. I never have taken my Zuk in and shes purring like a cat last time I checked. Anyway, to turn the check engine light off by yourself, put your hands under the dash and follow the steering wheel column up until you feel a switch(little metal flat block that you push up and down). Push it up then back down and the light will turn off. Good luck &amp; happy Zukin'.

Tim

92 Samurai, 33's, 4.5 SPOA, 2" SR, 3" Nationals, Revolver shackles, snorkle, 1.6, 2" exhaust/header, tracker hybrid axles w/ 4.63's, GRSI, safari rack, crawler bumper w Warn6000, s-10 blazer seat swap, rock sliders, diamond plate, and more upgrades than you can shake a stick at.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

samewith my zuk..its been on sence i got it anyway to turn it off..it runs good,ive changed the oil,plugs,wires and it runs better just dont know why the light is on
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 02:47 PM

Maybe the timing belt need changing?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:18 PM

Every 60k is the schedule for timing belts. The belt is cheap enough, its the labor that gets you
if you pay someone to do it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 120,000 "check engine" light is really a "check wallet" light. They want more money from you. Both my 95's are over 130,000 and running strong (but I do have new timing belts for both of them, if I ever get around to replacing them...

Bob
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 07:18 PM

HOWEVER... if you absolutely HAVE to know what it's flashing for, a lot of the local parts-o-ramas like Autozone and such offer free diagnostic readings and things.

Murph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode