Rewiring and I have a few questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Rewiring and I have a few questions

I am in the process of switching a wiring harness from one Zuk to another. This includes all dash wiring and engine compartment wiring. Is it really that hard? The zuk I am building currently has a harness but the previous owner cut and spliced so many wires that it would be impossible to fix. This is why I am switching the harness. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rewiring and I have a few questions

ive been changing things around on my stuff removeing tubs ect..so ive been all over my 85 i havent completely remove evry thing yet but it look very basic{3 section harness}i still have to remove the dash,but im thinking depending on how envolved the wireing is in the dash ,just swap dash and wireing as a unit no sense in makeing more complicated than it has to be k.i.s.s.rabidray
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 12:40 PM
HankS

I am taking out my dash and replacing it with lexan. So far the wiring in the dash seems simple. If you are going with a carburator you can eliminate alot of the wires there. I took out the heater and a/c, that got rid of a bunch of unecessary wires. When all is said and done, I hope to have the bare minimum and a clean overall look to it.....

Just eliminate all the crap you don't actually need and keep the rest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 01:47 PM

I've competely rewired both of my zuki's, pulled all wires not necessary, ran a dedicated ground wire, and put in extra acc. and aux lines. Since all you are doing is swapping complete harnesses, it should be no problem. You will unplug the dash harness from both ends, and the fusebox off the firewall, any grounds, and pull out. Same for the front wiring, except If you want to save time, cut, splice and solder the wires that go to the rear(fuel sender, rear lights, 4WD switch). It will save you an immense amount of headache!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Can't Get Enough

It's not too difficult. I have pulled the complete wiring harnesses from several. I would recommend that you use the type harness that matches your instrument cluster to avoid related incompatibility problems.

Use a 1986 to early 1988 harness if you have the round vent dash.

Use a 1988.5 or 1989 harness if you have a stock carbureted model with the square vent dash.

Use any EFI model harness for 1990 & up.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:08 PM

Ditto on the same-same for the harnesses. I spliced a '92 to a 88 on my first zuki and it was a serious chore. By the way, the wiring diagrams are only a reference, not to be taken verbatum. Some of the wire colors vary, which make life really interesting when trying to splice one to another!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:29 PM
SuziCrazy

I've done it several times too..from carb to EFI , efi to efi and of course carb to carb.. and it's pretty straight foward.. everything plugs right in..

P.S. Don't forget to add a ground wire from your battery to the firewall Dough! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I got it out

Well, I pulled everything out from inside the zuk. Not too hard. The hardest part was untangling all of the splice/cuts that some idiot had put in there. I have no idea what they were doing.
Oh, I found a two way switch in the wiring in the harness behind the instrument cluster area. Is this supposed to be there and what would it be for? I have no idea. As far as the swap, I don't think it will be too hard. The hardest part will probably be bolting the dash back in with all of the correct fasteners. I'll post a pic in a little while. I need to download my pics from the camera.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Re: I got it out

Here is a pic with all the junk removed
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:48 AM

Re: I got it out

That switch puts your ECM in diagnostic mode. I tried to find the article I read about it, but was unsucessful. I know it's out there though. From what I remember, it puts your emissions control system into "closed loop" mode. Your check engine light then acts as an indicator to tell you whether your oxygen sensor is reading lean or rich.
One of the 'Zuk web sites had an article about how it worked, and it may be in the FSM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode