Bad vibes from Toyota D/C d-shaft feeding a Yota.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Wyld_Bill

Bad vibes from Toyota D/C d-shaft feeding a Yota..

OK so I swapped in a rear Toyota P/U axle & used a front Toyota D/C driveshaft. I've heard on here & other places that this works good. Well, I took it for a test drive & I have some bad vibrations. So what gives? Are people making this swap sound more problem free than it really is?
Gonna do a search on this too when I get a chance so you might see old stuff resurfacing.
OH ,..also is there a certain way that the D/C drive shaft slides together? I couldn't find any marks anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 10:28 PM

Re: Bad vibes from Toyota D/C d-shaft feeding a Yota..

It depends what you were used to before the swap. I had a little bit of vibes with my sami axles and when I swapped to youta I ran a stock rear sami shaft. The vibe were pretty bad so then I swapped to a yota cv shaft and it mad it much better but I still have so vibes esspecially betweeen 10-20 mph.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:09 AM

Re: Bad vibes from Toyota D/C d-shaft feeding a Yo

how did you set your pinion angle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 08:26 AM

i have herd mixed results of using a d/c shaft with the offset transfercase and centered rearend. some say you have to have the dc shaft. others say it doesnt work since you are suposed to point the diff straight at the transfercase. you cant because the transfercase is offset. that logic does make sence to me. it would be no different from runing a dc shaft with out rotating the diff .
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 03:25 PM
Wyld_Bill

Yeah I have heard the same thing. What's with the mixed opinions?? Who has a Samurai with Yota PU axles & NO drive line vibes?????
BTW I pointed the pinion right at the t-case output flange.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<font color="green"> I've got a Samurai with yota p/u axles and no vibs!!! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] But, it might also be because I've got a Dana 300 t-case that is centered like my rear is! Good luck [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font color>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:49 PM

Sounds like you need a D/C at both ends of the drive shaft. Ever if you pointed you pinion at the t-case, you still have a compound angle going sideways up to the case.

I have a Yota D/C shaft in the rear of mine with stock axles. The CV has just enough clearance for full flex with a 5.5" SPOA. It seems if you use some of the bend for the run up to the case, it will bind when a wheel drops.

I think they allow for 30* of total flex...thats only 15* each way.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Aside from the obvious statements above concerning the double angle issue (offset and vertical travel), did you assemble the driveshaft so that the yokes on either end were perfectly aligned with themselves? Check my website (URL below) for a video explanation of the condition.

While I am SURE that the double whammy angle situation caused by an offset (or centered in your case) differential, a mis-aligned driveshaft would make the problem even worse. Trust me on this one. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:40 PM
Wyld_Bill

Yeah I checked that Ack (this ain't my first rodeo!) Although I'm not sure which way it's supossed to go since it's a D/C on the other end &amp; I looked really good &amp; there are no marks on the d-shaft slip joint to know which way it should go in. I do have it in there squared up with the D/C joint on the other end.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 05:19 PM
Wyld_Bill

Put a traction bar on &amp; that help quite a bit but I still don't like the vibes I'm getting. Isn't there a Toyota from the Landcruiser family that had a offset t-case &amp; a centered rear diff. or vise vursa?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode