Tach won't work... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:11 AM
tintop

Tach won\'t work...

Just got my Zuk running today and the tach doesn't work? Can someone give a few pointers as to what I need to check/test to get it working? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 01:17 AM
Addict

Re: Tach won\'t work...

A little more info might help. Is it a stock tach or an aftermarket install or even a stock tach cluster swap? Most likely it's a loose wire somewhere near the distributor. Seems to me if it's the main harness plug behind the dash more things wouldn't be working also. If it's an aftermarket tach be sure it's connected to the negative side of the dis. on a '94 model this is a brown with white stripe wire.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:10 AM

Tintop,
It's a shot in the dark but, the temp gauge on mine would not work and when I pulled the cluster out to check the plug-ins I noticed that one of the nuts on the back was loose. When I snugged it back up it began working again. My problem was that the gauge was not grounded due to the loose nut.

I guess that is just another one of those "loose nut behind the wheel" stories but it is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:44 AM
tintop

Sorry for the limited info. It's a stock cluster from an 86 JX hardtop. I've had the cluster out and checked for corrosion and loose connections...I found nothing wrong. All of the wiring harnesses seem to be in good shape, but I'll be checking them more thouroughly today. How many wires should there be coming off of the coil? 2-3? I also found a little circuit board behind the cluster that has 4 small diodes on it. The brown/white wire that comes from the negative side of the coil, leads right into this and then some red and red/yellow wires leave the board and re-connect to the harness.....what is this??? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode