samurai overheating - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

samurai overheating

Hi,
I need help, my '86 Samurai (called SJ413 here in Germany) with the 1,3l carburetor engine constantly overheats after starting. The temperature keeps going up, way past normal. After I switch the heating from hot to cold and back again (or vice versa) the temperature drops slowly to normal and stays there. A problem with the thermostat (is this the right word for the switch, which controls the waterflow from the short to the long cooling circuit)? So I thought and told my shop to replace it. But it still did overheat. Yesterday I read a repair manual which mentioned an ventilation hole in the thermostat, which has to be positioned in a certain way to prevent overheating. Sounds familiar? But the manual didn't explain the right position, they just said: "... remember the position an install it in the same location...".
So I suspect, my dealer installed it in the wrong location and decided to give it a try. I rotated it a little bit and now the hole is at an 90° angle to the connection to the radiator. And what miracle: It doesn't overheat any more! Could it be that simple?
And now the question after this long story: Do you know the right location of this vent hole and if this could be the cause of my troubles?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 06:19 PM
Veteran

Re: samurai overheating

I doubt it. In my experience, most overheating problems are caused either by a radiator that's clogged with scale deposits or a pressure leak somewhere. A cooling system needs to keep around 5 lbs. of pressure to work properly. Check it closely for rotted hoses and coolant leaks. If it isn't leaking, it could be losing pressure through a bad head gasket or radiator cap. A radiator shop should be able to pressure-test the system and/or rod out the radiator for you. HTH
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Addict

mine would over heat as i drove and then the temp would drop other times and then again over heat. took me a while to find the problem, i flushed the radiator out and new hoses and still the same thing. i replaced the fan belt and that seem to do the trick. the belt never screeched or made any noise but its was that simple just a belt me for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 07:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Here I go again [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]!
I bet your cooling system is fine. Replace the ground wire from the engine distributor to the firewall with some #10 guage wire strap. Make sure to clean the connection points well before you install the new wire. A way to test if you have a bad ground:
1. Push the clutch pedal down, if the intencity of the lights changes bad ground.
2. if the samurai is idling, quickly turn all electric stuff on and to the max, if the temp guage starts to climb imedieatly, bad ground.
3. It's going to go bad anyways, so it's a very good idea to replace if even if it is not the real problem, it will become problematic in the future.
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
It's just exactly what happened to me, temp went through the roof, turned all electric stuff off, went down, on, UP up red! hehe
[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 11:38 AM

Mine would run hot, but cool off when at idle. Found out I had too much antifreeze in my water [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The shop had put a 60/40 mix in, runs much cooler with a 70/30 mix.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:31 PM
SPAMurai

i don't doubt you, but i've never heard of electrically related overheating problems. can you explain how it's related? thanks,

steve o'
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:46 PM

Not sure if Nowhere is right,but this is what my Zuki does....It will show running hotter when I have the headlights on in the morning.I can get in it that afternoon after work ,drive home and it shows cooler.But turn them dang headlight on and temp hand will rise...not much but does show it running warmer [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:14 PM

My interpretation of the electrical problem is that Nowhere is saying that the guages are showing an overtemp condition when one does not exist. Due to the drain(load) of current and bad ground the guage reads as it does. Replacement of ground straps is good maintenance anyway as stated.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That is correct. The guage runs on electricity, if the grounds are not working the way they should, the guage would show an inaccurate reading. Hint, the guage is wrong and the engine temp is fine, that's what happened to me, I did the CLASSIC ground repair and my temp guage seems to be back to the standard (note, after the ground incident, the temp guage does not change at all if electrical accessories are on/off or whatever).
I'd say try it, it needs to be done anyways, also, take the cap off the rad (very freaking carefully, use a large towel if needed!! STEAM IS #@$(*@#$*& HOT!!!) when the temp guage is showing very hot, if it boils and goes whoeeeeeshhhhhhhhsssssssssssssssssssss, something is wrong, if it goes pssssssssst and the water is not boiling over and melting your flesh off, replace the ground and repeat
haha I'm looney.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast

The ground wire idea is a good one and a cheap fix. When the temp goes up the impedence in the water temp gauge goes up and gives you a higher temp reading. If the ground wire is bad or getting there, it will have an even higher impedence and result in a higher temp reading. If that doesn't solve the problem, making sure your engine has a good ground is always a good idea.

Good luck,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode