Gear change questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Gear change questions

OK here it goes..., I was going to do a Toyota axle swap, but after buying a Roadless Gear crossover steering,custom Paulson 2" back spaced wheels and a custom Traction bar for the zuk axles, pulling it all off and replaceing with Toy parts would be a huge waste of money after only one run. I was thinking of going to 5.12 or 5.38 R&Ps with my 4.16 t-case and running it for a few more years that way. I don't want "junk yard" parts so what would be the best and cheapest way to do the gear swap?? Also who is running 5.12 or 5.38 R&Ps with a 4.16 case and 33" tires? I just want to know how the set up runs on the highway(no trailer queen here). I drive about 150+ miles to the trails and don't want to run to high in the RPMs. This is a trail rig with very little daily driving chores, and I'm looking for better on/off road drivablity then the stock 3.73 gears give me now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:54 PM

Re: Gear change questions

with 5.38's that woudl be some steep gearing..cheapest way is using sidekick gears for the 5.12 set up which 5.12 without t case reduction are set for 33's so you would still be geared a lil lower but it would be better than the 5.38 and cheaper...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

If I go with 5.12s, do I have to get the from a junkyard or can you still get 'em new??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 07:54 PM

there are plenty of cheaper options...you can buy them new or you can save yourself some money and get 2 front sidekick diffs cause they bolt right in the sammy axles or swap in a rear sidekick axle and a front sidekick diff into the front axle..sometimes you can find it cheap and save money otherwise your better off spending the dollar
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:22 PM

Bedore I swapped to yota's I was running 5.12r&p, 4.16 tcase, and 33 boggers. Down the freeway at 60 I would run just under 4000rpm. Now I run 5.29r&p and it hardly changed. For a daily communter those rpm's might be kinda steep, I may would consider 4.62r&p also from a tracker/kick.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

What am I'm going to need for a complete sidekick gear swap? Can I use my EZ locker I have in the rear, or do I need to change that too?? What about the axle spline count difference between the front and rear? Can I use my small flange off my axle on the 'kick diffs(I have adaptors for the rear Toy driveshaft) [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I'm just looking for the cheapest way to gear down at this point.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]anyone [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Just get a couple of gear sets out of Sidekicks or Trackers, sticks are 5.12's and auto's are 4.62's . You can only use the front diffs, no rears . Get a couple of spacers and rings from NCO from Breeze . Put them together with you locker in your third members . Use the longer bolts that go with the ring gears from the donor trucks, since they are longer . Make damn sure everything is setup to spec from the fsm . Break them back in properly . Smile, you're re-geared....
Sarge
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sarge [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'll start my search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode