"MaxRedo" Debut ...... My 16v Sneaky Pete project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

\"MaxRedo\" Debut ...... My 16v Sneaky Pete project

This is how I kept busy over the summer. I was looking for a grocery getter and commute-mobile, pretty much the old-ladies car. I bought this sammi for $500 and soon found out it had a bad tranny and engine. Time for replacements! I got a good tranny for it from some good guys, the Capt'n and Robzuke (thanks).

I first tried a 1.6 8v w/stock 1.3 carb and was not happy with it. I then swapped on my weber 38 carb set-up...much better, but, alas this engine was on its last leg also (piston skirt pieces in the oil pan).
next.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: \"MaxRedo\" Debut ...... My 16v Sneaky Pete project

I was already getting my red tin top "Whazuki" ready for it's 16v swap, so I decided to swap a 16v into this one as well. My bud, Boyirish6 had a line on a complete 16v setup and with his help, I soon had the engine sitting in my garage (kudos).

Installing the engine was as easy as installing a 1.3 or 1.6 8v, only the bulk/shape of the upper engine (intake/head) is different, the rest is the same. I used a TT 1.6 adapter kit and stock sammi motor mounts. Oh yea, I also did the 1.3 oil pan conversion.

PS when I was switching engines on my engine stand, this 16v engine managed to roll onto its side. Everything was ok except the plastic timing belt cover...it just shattered!! I'll get a new one asap.
next...................
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

It's actually a clean install. The pic makes it look too busy. I made and installed my own wiring harness. If you decide to make your own harness, just remember to use good wiring diagrams, take your time and double check everything before you start cutting. Nuf Said.

Finding a place to mount the coil takes a little creativity. The sammi accelerator cable is retained. I incorperated the tracker engine fuse box instead of the fusable link. Also there is a 1250cfm electric fan on a stock radiator.

My first attemt to start it was unsucessfull. I was hoping it was a hardware problem. Some may remeber my post a little while back about the coil spark from a 16v. Well, to get the 16v running, I had to realign the dilethium crystals in the warp core and run a level three diagnostic on the plasma manifolds.

All this sounds much better than forgetting to attach one of the distributor wires inside the wiring harness. Thats all it was!!!! One stinking wire, blue w/blackstripe .......the power wire from the main relay. Once the wire was attached, the engine fired right up on the first try.
next...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

The interior is about the way it was when I bought it. The front and rear seats are all in matching upholstery, feels like boat cushion vinyl...very thick. The seats look good but they are still stock seat comfortable [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. I'v added a GTI steering wheel.

It rained a lot these last few days. Enough rain to discover that a lot of water leaks through under the dash and onto the ECM. It filled up the storage tray. The ECM in the pic is in its temporary "safe" area....no leaks there. Tracking the leak is my next project.

MaxRedo, aside from being a great name for a project like this, is a name some hard core Star Wars fans may remember. MaxRedo is the blue dude that plays keyboard for Sly Snoodles.
next.........
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Parting Shot.
I can sum up this swap in one word,
vvVVRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm!
The 16v is a great engine. There is always power to spare no matter what gear your in or what RPM's you're turning. I'm not going to take it down to the drag track, but I will say for a samurai..it is FAST!
Best of all, it looks like your average Samurai.

It makes my heart beat and puts a smile on my face!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:00 PM

So... Quick questions. Did you get that thing for the thing for the thing changed so that thing wouldnt happen? Hmmmmm how can I clarify that [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Doesnt Trail Tough have to change something so that your check engine light won't come on? I don't remember too clearly what exactly had to be changed, maybe the vehicle speed sensor or something..?

Also, you did the 1.3 oil pan swap. Why? Did you do it because the 1.6 pan wouldn't fit with your suspension SPUA? I remember hearing even with a SPOA lift you need a 1" body lift to clear the 1.6 oil pan, is that correct?

Whoops, forgot the most important part: That looks great! good work.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Nice looking rig!

Is that the Bay in the background?

I have a 4.5" breeze SPOA under my 1.6 8-valve sporting a stock 1.3 oilpan. (& yes, it scoots!)

I imagine that 4 to 4.5" of SUSPENSION lift (as opposed to body lift) is necessary for the use of the unmodified 1.3 pan.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Hey Kev,
I installed a Tracker VSS in my sammi's speedo. Check engine light behaves normally.
The low part of a 1.6 oil pan sits over the sammis axle when the engine is installed. The low part of the 1.3's pan is further back and clears the front axle. By using the 1.3 oil pan on a 1.6 block you can retain [near] stock engine clearance with the axle. This sammi has a completely stock suspension, but I think I'm gonna go with the rears up front and CJs in the rear SPUA, for the ride qualities and for a little more clearance underneath.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:40 PM

Yahoo Whazoo! Now you can bring it up and we can tear it up in the mud! PM me your telephone # when you can. I'd like to ask ya' a few questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode