swapping motors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

swapping motors

I have a 93 Sidekick with a 5sp and bad 16 valve motor. Can swap a 16 valve motor from a 93 Sidekick that has an auto?

I know that sometimes manufacters have crank shafts that are different between auto and manual trannys. I'm hoping this is not the case with this motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: swapping motors

The one differences I do know, is the 5spd has a flywheel, while the auto has a flexplate, so you would have to swap the flywheel to the auto engine.not sure is a balance issue then, or if there might be other issues.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 11:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

No Problem!

All G16 blocks are perty-near exactly the same. It is the head that can be differnt.

It's just what you have bolted on the end of the crank that is different! So save all those bits and pieces (like the flywheel) from the rear of the busted engine and stick it on the arse-end of the replacement engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 06:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hi
ive learned that there are distinct differenc,s between stick and auto...so look all of the electrical connectors over very carefuly and make shure every thing is exactly the same...in fact if you can get the computer from the donor vehicle, match up the serial numbers on the computers....ive never done anything with the 16 v motor,but i have worked wiht the 8 v motor and the 1989 8v,s are different in that the auto motor has some kind of air heating device between the tbi and the plennum of the intake and they have a different ecu than the stick shift..... rabidray
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, I have the complete 16v w/5sp and will get a complete 16v w/auto. The computer is something I hadn't thought of comparing; this will be an excellent way of determining if there are major sensor differences.

Thanks again everyone.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make sure that you get the ECm from the auto as they are different. You will also need the parts from the rear of the auto to do the swap, other than that there's no difference in the 2 engines. I'm using a motor that was mated to an autoauto in my newest rig.
ROB
There's gonna be trouble!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

this may seem a quasi dumb-a$$ question, but if you switch out everything but the intake manifold/EFI system; will you not have to worry about the ECM and harness?

Although I am a wiring kind of guy, I'd take disassembling and reassembling the passenger side of the head over tracing wiring and hoping I get it all reconnected right.

After all, a G16 block is still a G16 block after you remove all the gadgets with wires coming out of them. Unless, of course, the problem does not lie in the block or head...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I figure that the heads, intake, exhaust, etc. should be the same. Computer should take care of most the differences between 5sp and auto tranny. My main concern was that there was a different in bolting to a flywheel or flex plate. I was going to try to get the harness just in case I ran across a Sami with a bad motor for cheap; plan would be to put the bad 16 valve motor in the Sami after rebuilding it.

Presently the owner couldn't get the thing start because the wires in the dash were hack from someone ripping of the radio and a few other things. I plan on a compression test but was hoping to hear it run before I take the plung but that may not be an option.

If I get it, I'll plastic gauge the rod, crank, and cam bearings as well as do a leak down test before it's installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode