Swapping U-bolts with 2 plates and long bolts??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Swapping U-bolts with 2 plates and long bolts???

I haven't had time lately to finish the YJ / Toy axle swap once and for all but I did encounter some pitfalls along the way that are taking up my thoughts as I wait to get back to work. Namely, finding long enough U-bolts to fit the pass. side springs. I have given up on the search for the U-bolts as they seem to be nearly impossible to find in Canada! Anyway, I was thinking of just taking some 3/8" plate and making a "sandwich" type system with 4 long bolts, instead of U-bolts. Actually, the Toy axles have a lower perch under the axle which looks like it may have been used for this purpose? So, would this be a wise choice, or am I missing something? Thanks for the help :-)

Cheers,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 09:57 AM

Re: Swapping U-bolts with 2 plates and long bolts???

hey man I got some in my garage from discount auto parts you need 2 right?..anywho if your interested I could take some measurements and tell ya what i got..there quite long lol
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check around at local spring shops and big rig parts/service shops. Most of them can make custom u-bolts for a very reasonable price. I usualy pay $10-$15 US for each one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

"...pay $10-$15 US for each one" That's reasonable! LOL I think I'd pass on the custom ordered ones. I pay $7 Canadian now for zinc plated ones and think that's too much.

I'd be interested in the ones you have in your garage but I'll see what I can come up with here first. Thanks for the offer :-)
The pass. side will definitely get the plates and bolts, but driver's side, maybe U-bolts because it'll be easier. But the plates/bolts would be cheaper....hmmm.....

Thanks again,
Steve
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:13 PM

well I dunno man that is pretty scary sounding cause it wouldnt lap itself around the axle for extra support it would just push the perch down...I dunno you could have these for shipping...there new in the package lol
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 01:28 PM

If the axle plates have the inside radus it will work fine, several truck manufacturers use this
style plates on the axle. If you make your own, used thick plate for the part against the housing.
That will reduce lode concentr5ation on the housing. toy's are thickker, but the samies are thin.

Most of the long bolts I find in hardware stores seem to be pretty soft, so buy a couple of extras
in case you pop one on the trail. It would ruin your whole day!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Well, the front Toy axles have an almost flat bottom to them. Gussetting, or whatever it's called. That being the case, it's almost flat and the plate would fit nice and flush against it. It would be sitting on the lower spring perch, which was built for a plate, I suspect.
The hardware would probably be much stronger than anything any manufacturer would provide. The local nut and bolt supply house has everything from Grade 8 and up. All at very reasonable prices; actually about the same or less than Home Depot, but Grade 8 + strength.

Cheers!
Steve
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:56 AM

Sounds like your set then, Post some pick when your done.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Will do. Thanks :-) I'm going to be finishing this all in November so I will definitely get some pics. Maybe it'll save others from stressing as much as I have! LOL

Cheers!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode