New user need some help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New user need some help

Hello all I am new to this board and have a few quesions. I have a 88 Suzuki Sammy, it has over 100,000 miles
on it and it is giving me some problems now. It seems when it the engine gets warm and you try go above
50 mph it will like sputter and drop the speed almost like it is cutting the spark or running out of gas.
What I have done so far.... Replaced fuel filter, checked plugs, cleaned carb with carb spray, Replaced the distribuor cap,
and new coil. It still does it. I was just wondering if this was a known problem or it anyone has any suggestions. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:16 AM
HankS

Re: New user need some help

Have you checked your fuel pressure? Fuel pump can cause this. Check your oil also, sometimes the diaphram in the pump goes out and can dump gas into the engine block.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 10:56 AM

fill out your personal info or bio someone might live near you and be able to look at it in person
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry about that. I live in Allentown PA. Where is the fuel pump located? Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 02:03 PM

It's that thing near your distributor with the hoses running in & out of it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am going to try and check that tonight. Thanks [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 04:49 PM

Check your carb to find out if you have the hesitation fix vent tube. If not, several venders sell the upgrade at a reasonable price. Spidertrax even include the tool to install it. Replace all of your vaccum hoses too. It is relatively cheap and a good idea since most of the time they are original anyway.

www.spidertrax.com/engine_vtk.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Slameri:

I would first check all your vaccuum hoses, especially the vaccuum advance hose that connects to the distributor. They get crumbly after a while and can cause leak problems.

Does this problem occur right after you shift into fifth gear? There is a switch on the transmission that connects to the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which controls the carburetor. If that is the case, maybe the switch (or the ECU) is bad...

About the fuel pump...

Although checking the fuel pump is always a good idea, I don't think this is the problem.

To check the fuel pump, locate it on the rear end of the head on the passenger side. There are a number of tubes coming out of it. One points down and has no hose connected to it. This tube provides an air vent to the backside of the pump diaphram. If the diaphram is ruptured, this tube will be damp with gasoline after you run the engine for a while.

Another indication of a broken fuel pump is progressivly louder engine noises as it is driven at any speed. This is caused by the thinning of the oil with gasoline from the pump. Naturally, oil thinned out by gasoline is a VERY BAD thing.

The final indication of a broken fuel pump is found when you check the oil level. The oil will be noticably thinner and there will appear to be more of it!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2002, 12:53 PM
JCC

My 88 started running bad and I changed the 02 sensor, that seemed to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode