OT zuker needs help with oldsmobile - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

OT zuker needs help with oldsmobile

Hey everyone I have a problem. I don't know anything about Oldsmobiles. My girlfriend has a 1996 olds cutlass supreme with the smaller V6. The car has a problem with overheating. You can drive it about 5-10 minutes before it starts to over heat. We took it to shop and the guy says it needs a new engine. I don't see how that can be since it drives just won't stay cool. when it drives it drives fine. I believe it to be the thermostat which should be an easy fix if not a cheap way finding the real issue. The other issue is if it is the thermostat I have no clue where it is located on this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT zuker needs help with oldsmobile

I would try all the basic stuff first. Like make sure it IS overheating and not the gauge or light sending unit. Check the water level. Water pump broken. After it heats up feel the hoses and see if there is movement in the water. Meaning a cold hose becomes hot after the thermostat opens. Just something to start with. Check a few things you checked and post the results. HTH a little. Jim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:56 PM

It sounds like a thermostat to me. It's probly stuck shut. Or maybe there's an air lock. To find the thermostat just follow the top rad hose back to the motor. It should be there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:08 PM
Addict

What you have is a old's with the 3.1 v6, Change the t'stat and if that dont fix it, it's possible that one of the head gaskets is blown. Look at you coolant overflow bottle on the passenger side, do it look oily on the inside? Good sign on a head gasket. The T'stat is on the driver side of the engine. Also you didnt say if you were driving at low speeds or not. You have electric fans on it, turn on the ac and see if the fans run. Do they come on when it starts running hot?

Steve
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Actually I did check the fans and after a little while they did kick in. also the heat doesn't seem to be working. when the engine starts running hot I toss on heat to let it escape somewhere and it still blows cool. another thing is when it does finally get in the red it dies and if it was let to heat up pretty high there is a sweet smell coming from the engine bay like radiater fluid. I just want to get this car running without over heating cause winter is on it's way. as far as car speed goes. we live in downtown chicago the fastest we can get up to is about 25-30 between stop lights. thank you all for the help. I knew this was the place to ask. Any info on a cheap fix till money gets better for a more permanent fix. Unless there really is no temp. fix
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If the heater isn't working then the hot water is not going through the heater core. Thermostat or clog would be my next try. Maybe change the T'stat then back flush. Jim
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You just described a classic blown head gasket . If you run it hot enough it quits , you've damaged the engine . Pull the plugs and see if some of them are blasted clean by steam , bet you'll find at least two cylinders on the rear bank..
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

maybe not hurt sarge... some of these newer cars put a temp shutoff on them to prevent dummys from heatiing them too hot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode