Starter Questions AGAIN!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Starter Questions AGAIN!!!

Yea, I read a LOT of past posts but I have some specific Q's and will explain the problem in detail. Here Goes

A while back my sammi would not start right after I had shut it off. I didn't understand. After it sat for about a half hour (cooled off?) it started right up and I drove away. It did this a few more times and then I parked it and went "overseas" for a few months. I just got back and it was doing the samething but this time if I sat and played with the ignition, by this i mean i attemped to start it repetitively, it finally would turn over. There has never been the "clicking" that many of you have talked about. Well on Friday it finally refused to give in and start. I have switched the selonoid but no help here. I have checked fuses and ground/positive wires. I have lights, wipers and such. It just doesn't seem to be receiving any juice or something. Again there is NO clicking. Where do I go from here.

OH, my factory service manual is on my desk at work and I have no way to go and get it. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:21 AM
Veteran

Re: Starter Questions AGAIN!!!

I had this same exact problem.

First get a multimeter and check the small wire that plugs into the starter to see if you have 12 volts there when the key is in the start position.

If you don't, check to see if the wire is damaged. This wire goes straight to the ignition.

Check the wire where it comes out of the back of the ignition switch. If there is not 12 volts there when the key is in the start position then the ignition switch is probably bad.

If you have power at the small wire at the starter

Have someone hold the ignition in the start position. Tap the starter rather forcefully with a heavy object several times or until the starter ingages.
If this works, your wireing is probably ok.

If the starter did not spin with the ignition in the start position when you were tapping on it, Make sure that the ground that goes from the - terminal on the battery to the bolt that holds the dtarter on is in good shape, (sometimes they fatigue and break at the ends).

If this does work, you need to disassemble the starter and check to see if the brushes move freely. check to see if the bearings are still good, and look at the copper where the brushes make contact on the armature to see if the brushes have carved a deep groove. A shallow groove is ok. Polish this area with a very fine emory cloth If you have to push the brushes back into the carrier (Brush Guides) when you put the armature back into the case, then they will probably have enough pressure to make good contact.

When re-assembeling the starter, make sure that uou clean the gunk off of the piston on the solenoid and out of the hole that the piston goes into. Put a very light coat of silicone lube on the piston and put it back into the hole--make sure this piston slides freely.

Check the starter after it is completely assembled before you put it back into the rig.

Use jumper cables. Connect ground from batt to one of the bolt ears on the starter.
Connect positive from battery to the positive terminal on the starter.
Use an old screwdriver and jump between the positive post on the starter and where the small wire hooked up. HOLD ON TIGHT to the starter as it will jump and twist when it starts spinning.

Hope this helps
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:45 AM

before you take the starter apart, check the big cable going from your battery to your starter,
my stock one actually broke inside the jacket of the cable, it wore back and forth till it was broken and
touching sometimes,

at first it was a cool off thing, don't know why, but then it did not matter...

what I was doing was taking the starter out to take it down and have it tested at the automotive
place, when I unbolted the main cable, the end fell off, hit the dirt... had an inch or so of cable just past the
crimped end...

turned out to be a $5 fix....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Wow dale, that is a lot of info. Thanks a ton.
Here is how I fixed it. I had a second starter and solenoid so I figured i would just swap em out. Well after looking at the gear on the starter I realized that it had seen its better days a long, long time ago. So i swaped the solenoid and tried it. No worky. I cursed a little then I figured I would just take apart the starter and swap the gear. Man, when I cracked the case on the old one it told me the tale of wjat was wrong. About 5 lbs of dirt and crud fell out. (Just a note: I bought this rig EXTREMELY abused and am in the process of building my OWN rig) So i cleaned up the old inner part with the gear and installed it in the better of the two starter cases. Then I picked the best looking Solenoid and put it in the Zuk. NO WORKY STILL!!! Ok, so I checked the clutch pedal switch. The previous owner had jumped it to disable it. Looked good. So I rewired the "jumper" and whala!!! It works like a dream!!! I think it was a combo of things and I am very glad I got it fixed. Thanks to all who offered help. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Now I need to fix the leak coming from behind the water pump that "mysteriously" started while I was fixing the starter problem!!! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Zuks, gotta love em!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:44 AM
SPAMurai

so, does that mean you'll be at Zuwharrie?! it's not too far from Fayette-nam... i'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the NC zuke crew.

steve o' (Raleighwood)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I'll be there. Just look for the rustiest grey zook with the most dangerious home brew z-link ever fabbed. That will be me!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 02:10 PM
HankS

Hey NC_Zuk, post some pics of the bootie fab z link, I want to add it to my bootie fab pic collection.... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Here it is, the worst z-link mod ever. Scares the bejesus out of me. Oh, and I drive it everyday! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 914196-badlink.jpg (23.2 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode