tranny fluid - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

tranny fluid

dont have a manual yet but i need to know what kinda tranny fluid i should run in my 88 zuk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 04:33 AM

Re: tranny fluid

Some may argue with me on this point.
In my Toyota, the shop that rebuilt the tranny instructed me to use synthetic 30 weight. I loved the way it shifted for 50K miles 'til I swapped it for my C4.
In my Sami I did the same thing in both axles, tranny and transfer, and obtained a 2 mpg gain! Both the tranny and transfer shift a lot smoother. Some say that the lighter weight will cause premature bearing failure but I thing that the synthetic will protect better than the 80-90 recomended by Suzuki.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:06 AM
Veteran

The FSM does call for 75w90 or 80w90 gear oil, but when I changed the oil in my tranny and t-case for the first time, I noticed that a previous owner had used engine oil. I could tell because it was very thin. I have no doubt that a thinner oil could increase your gas mileage, but I worry too much about things like torque loading and film strength so I use the recommended gear oil in mine. Whatever you run, change it frequently! If you've ever had a Zuk tranny apart, you'll see that the countershaft bearings sit very close to the bottom of the case. Any sediment in the oil goes right into those bearings. HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

I am a big promoter of Amsoil and believe you cannot go wrong with Amsoil 75w90. That is what I use all around my 86 Zuk.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the PO of mine used motor oil in the transfer case. I replaced both tranny and transfer case fluid with recomended 75-90
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:58 AM

I use Mobile synthetic, 75/90 in both diffs, the tranny and T case. Shifts great and over the years I have had no problems.
BTW Synth. appears thinner than dino gear oil but has better lubricating properties.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:25 AM

I also use the Mobile 1 synthetic gear lube. Kind of expensive, but I plan on having my Samurai for a long time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

cool thanx guys.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 03:57 PM
roydw

I just purchased a rebuilt tranny from Brent (Trail Tough) and asked him the same question (I have been running Mobile 1 synthetic in the old transmission for the past couple of years and the bearings finally gave out).

Brent said to stay away from the synthetics (including Mobil 1) because in his experience the bearings don't last as long using synthetics as compared to dino products. In response to my question about which specific oil he recommends, he said any good quality standard GL-5 spec gear oil.

I'm no expert but I must admit I always thought the synthetics were better (but perhpas not enough better to justify their cost). OTOH, I know for sure that Brent has sold a lot of rebuilt trannys (and will stand behind the one I'm installing if there are any problems) so I'm going to use plain old Castrol GL-5 80-90 gear oil in my new (rebuilt ) unit.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:05 PM

Honestly I don't think us that wheel our rigs regularly will see much of a difference in performace between a synthetic or regular lube. Other than with the synthetics tend to be quite a bit thinner and the tranny's rear out put seal can't hold that thinner lube in. So your tranny mount will constantly be wet with gear lube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode