Engine oil question..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Engine oil question.....

I was just wondering what weight oil most people run in there 1.3? I have been running 5W-30 in mine for the last 4 years.I live in southern Tennessee and the temps in the summer get up around 100 and usually dont get below the teens in the winter. Would running 10W-30 help with the infamous Zuki engine leaks and help improve oil pressure or is 5W-30 the best all around for a 4 cylinder? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 09:36 PM

Re: Engine oil question.....

I run 15w40 4x4 formula in mine. thicker viscosity slows oil leaks,and I also run mine hard anyways at times.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 10:08 PM

i run 10 40 in the summer and 10 30 in the winter that 5w 30 is like water. in the summer id go with 10w 30 . JMHO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 11:28 PM
Enthusiast

I used to run 10w40, but I have changed to 10w30 (Amsoil of course). Found that I got a little better fuel economy with it (about .25mpg).

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 11:35 PM

5W-30 is probably your best bet. 10W-30 and 5W-30 are close to the same viscosity (sp?) at operating temp, but 5W-30 is thinner when cold - which means it flows much quicker. Yes, it's like water, but it's supposed to be like water and there is a good reason for it - It flows quick cold, minimizing the time the critical moving parts are running dry.
The second number is what's most important - it will determine oil pressure at operating temp and the rate at which the oil flows. The Zuki engine is designed to run with either 10W-30 or 5W-30, and anything thicker at operating temp (ie: 10W-40, 15W-40, 20W-50) is bad for it and may ultimately shorten the life of the engine and reduce performance.

Remember, oil pressure is created by the resistance of the oil being forced through bearings and other passages. Thicker oil will raise pressure, but it's also substantially reducing the flow rate - since less oil is forced throught the same size opening. Higher pressure isn't always better - it's flow rate your really concerned about.

You can have 10 PSI at idle, and have enought flow for everything to be AOK (the reduced pressure is caused be wear, opening up the tolorances and reducing backpressure - but the oil is still flowing - and that's what REALLY matters.)
You can also have 50 PSI in the same engine at idle (by running much thicker oil) and not have enough flow to properly lubricate and cool the vital parts of the engine.

Sorry, got a little carried away with that reply [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But, to answer your question, switching from 5W-30 to 10W-30 will not stop leaks or increase pressure (since it's approximately the same viscosity at operating temp).
What it will do, however, is increase the time that the lifters/cam bearings/etc. run dry when the engine is first started.

IMHO, I would stick with the 5W-30.
I run Mobil 1 0W-30 in my Sidekick year round. There was a noticable deference in how quick the engine starts up and stabilizes when I switched from the 5W-30.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 11:45 PM

I hate to go against everyone else, but I have run Castrol 20/50 since I got my Sami 160,000 miles ago. I just moved to Michigan so ill run 10/30 for the winter, but back to 20/50 for summer. I have 270,000 miles on the 1.3 and the oil has been the best thing for it I think. Just my opinion.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've run 20-50 on my zook for about 12000 miles and now she's toast. This really means nothing because I kinna abused the engine. With my brand new hybrid setup I am planning on running the 10-30weight of oil. The different viscosities are for different clearances (.0001 thinner required weight vs .001 <example!!>). There is soooo much info on oil out there!! The FSM notes 10-30, so that's what I'm going to run in my new engine. I have no suggested/reccomended oil for older engines (note, I did try 5-30 mobil synthetic and the engine had a louder knock...).
Ask around, you can always have an oil analysis done by amsoil [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:21 AM
Old Hand

I guess I cover the whole spectrum. I run 5w-50 Castrol Syntec. Always have, always will. Brad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode