Start up problem with my Geo Tracker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Start up problem with my Geo Tracker

I'm a new member with hopefully an easy question to answer. I have a 1990 Geo Tracker hard top, 5 speed. When I go to start my Tracker in the morning it starts up fine. When I go to drive, it starts jerking and I have to jam the clutch and hit the gas to get going. No matter how many times i turn off my car that day and come out and restart it, it will never repeat that problem.....well a couple of times it's stuttered after work which I get out of 6:30pm. I've done a tune up and checked everything I can think of but with no luck. So is this just a glitch that these older Trackers have or is this solvable?? Any ideas would be appreciated.<font color="red"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:35 PM

Re: Start up problem with my Geo Tracker

I think when you first start off it kind of jerks back and forth unless you get a good start punchin the gas and letting off the clutch..unless you let of the clutch slow
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's what I thought at first, that I was not doing something right when i first drove in the morning. The problem cannot be me though. I own 2 other cars and drive my friends cars, they are all standard and I have never done it to any other car. I ran into one guy who had an older Tracker like mine and he said it was probably just a glitch with the car. I'm really hoping it can be fixed though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 08:07 PM

well it takes more than just what you listed...could be in the throttle...gas lines...anything no offense but it can only get worse and eventually give you a good enough sign to tell what it is
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok Thanks so far, I'll try to explain with more detail.
When I first start the car in the morning and it's cold outside(summer time) the car idles high for about 2 minutes or so at 2500 RPM. After about 5 minutes if I don't move the car it will drop down to 1200 RPM idle(normal).
SInce I don't want to waste time ,gas, or money I start driving the car within 15 seconds of starting it up. We live by a rural highway on a hill. I have to go up this big hill in the morning. When I go up the hill I have to give the car I have to give the car ALOT of gas and punch the clutch to prevent the car from stalling. I then get going and the problem disappears for the rest of the day.
It appears to be a cold start problem that only manifests if the car has been sitting overnight. Sometimes the problem pops up even if the outside air temp was warm. I theorize that it's either ignition or fuel pressure. It requires too much effort to get it going in the morning, it's not consistent. There is over 140,000 miles on the car, any ideas would really be appreciated. I also checked the ignition coil and did a tune up(cap, rotor, plugs, etc).
I hope this is more info for everyone.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jessica R:

As I understand what you say, the vehicle loses power under load, until it is warmed up?

Two possibilities come to mind: Either you have a sensor problem, like your O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold, that is feeding bad information to the engine computer ECM -- OR -- your engine is worn to the point where it has no cylinder compression until everything inside is hot enough for compression to improve to the point the engine runs okay.

I would have a cylinder compression test done and have the sensors checked.

Also, we are a pretty nice group here. New users are reluctant to put much information into their profiles because of all the horror stories one hears on the Internet. Once you see we are a bunch of pretty nice guys and gals, we hope you'll fill in your profile here so we can be of more assistance to you -- especially the ability to email or Personal Message you.

Cordially,
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:40 PM

Well if you haven't saved much time, gas or money using your modified warm up I would suggest going back to the long way of warming it up and driving that way. Not trying to be a smart az but sometimes the wait is important.

Ack has better answers above. He has a way of putting it just right. I was typing while he was sending.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No offense tacken, it's stupid to not let it warm up. But I'm a woman and I'm always running late to work so...well..ya know. I also filled in my personal info I'm sure everyone is really nice.
If the engine compression is low, what should it read/what's the right compression? I do have a compression tester and I have to admit it was a little silly of me not to think of that before.
Also could a vacuum leak have caused this? Winter is coming and no matter how long that damn thing warms up I'm scared it's gonna get worse. And when I thought about it some more, i realized that sometimes,not always, when I shift into second the car jerks. The whole car jerks as if I'm not shifting right. And to stop all those who are about to say that I'm NOT shifting right, well I am too! That has no predictability, it just sometimes happens. It feels alot like the morning problem. After the car gets going it then disappears.???????? This problem has never occured when the car is warmed up, always when first started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode