Still need help with LockRight Locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Still need help with LockRight Locker

I had posted before about this problem and still haven't been able to fix it, so I thought that I would give it another try.

I have a 1530 Lockright locker in the rear axle. The locker is behaving very badly. While going straight, whenever I let off of the gas, the locker will pop very loudly, usually on the driver's side, but sometimes happens on both sides. This is very dangerous because I could be going 60 down the highway and when I let off of the gas, or downshift, the locker will pop real hard or unlock and the zuki will veer off to the left. It is pretty scary. Taking corners at any spped will do this as well. The popping is definately not normal and is makes people stare at me like I'm a nut.

Done so far: I have disassembled the locker 5 times now reshimming it with thrust washers. It seems to work better the looser the locker is. I have put over one hundred dollars into rebuilding the locker. The springs and pins are new as well. I do remain within specs with the washers. The problem is still there. There is little to no play in the ring and pinion.

I do notice a lot of play in the locker itself. (between the Axle and the wheels moves a lot) Is this normal? could this be causing the problem? I know that the play is not coming from the ring and pinion.

I have heard that a bent axle can cause this problem. How can I tell if it is bent? Is it a bent axle housing, or the axle shaft that can cause the problem. I have also noticed the driver side bearing is a little bit loose, not tight like the other side. The main bearings on the third member seems fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a lot of cash to fix this, and my wife is blaming it on my fun when I off road. I still want to be able to go off-roading, if you know what I mean. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img])
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 04:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Still need help with LockRight Locker

Bent housing will cause I had the same problem measure both side to the ground It doesnt have to be much I wrapped a chain around the housing on both sides letting it droop in the middle put a jack ontop of the chain and jack into the pumpkin once this is done you have to brace the housing or it will bend back Iwas able to get 2 days worth of trails before it started popping again.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Probably the easiest way to tell if you have a bent axle is to 'sight' it by pulling a tight string from one side to the other.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So this is a symptom that someone has seen?
I will try to sight the axle. If it is bent, then it looks like straightening it will temporarily fix the problem.
Will the outer bearings cause this problem, or the free play in the locker?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is possible that outer bearings could allow enough play to mess with the locker. However, they'd be screaming so bad you'd definetely know about it.

Bent axles are a common trouble-maker for lockers.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 08:42 PM

When you reassembled your axle shafts into the housing / locker did you have to hammer(the axle shafts) it in really hard to make them seat?

Went through the same type of trouble you have.(this locker sucks compared to my buddy's1510)

Bought a spare rear axle housing complete and installed my locker in it, noticed that the axle shafts went in way easy compared to my orignal housing. Before it would engage and disengage when ever it wanted to,even going straight down the road at a steady speed [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Don't know if it was the carrier that the locker sits in or the axle housing but now the zuk acts normal.

Before I put the locker in my new (used) axle I called LOCK RIGHT and asked for some .010 shims and new springs, new dowel pins since I was trying to solve my problem and they sent me those parts for only the cost of shipping, I think $5.80 is what it cost me.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 08:47 PM

you mention that there is little to no play with the ring and pinion. You should have a little play called "backlash". Don't know if this would be enough to cause your problem but I would certainly check it out since too tight of gears will eat your ring and pinion up.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks fo the reply, guys. The Ring and Pinion was properly backlashed. That is what I meant by a little play in it. I just wanted to point out that there is a lot of play coming from the locker itself. I think that this is normal being that there is a big space between the Locker itself, and the pinion cross shafts.

DOABLE -- Come to think of it, I did have a hard time seating the axle shaft during reassembly. You replaced the axle housing, but did you replace the third member housing as well? I do know of an axle for sale with the third member. I just want to know if buying this will fix the problem assuming that the replacement axle is not bent itself.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another question, how many .010 shims did you use on each side? I used three for a total of around .033. I would like to know which works best. Mine cost a lot more because I also bought one new coupler and one new lock. I will be the happiest person once I get this fixed. I love the samurai for off road use, but with this problem and driving 60 miles a day on the highway, the ride gets old very quick.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 09:29 PM

Yes I went and bought a broken samurai and used the whole rear axle assembly from it. 3rd member / axle housing / axle / brakes / axle shafts every thing.

For the shims in the installation manual(yellow book) that came from LOCK RIGHT there was a white piece of paper that said "important" Did or do you still have that piece of paper? It tells about using a feeler gage to check between the pinion shaft and each spacer. This gap should be between .005 and .020 inches, with not more than .008 inch difference between the two. I have no way of sending a picture or copy of this white piece of paper to you , but it should have been in the box that the locker came with.

Are you sure that your tires are the exact same O.D. ? This will also give trouble, I went to a fabric shop (sewing shop) and got a tape to measure a waist and measured my tires with it to see if they were the same size.O.D. Does that make any sense ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode