Installed Sky's 1" body lift, satisfied, but... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Installed Sky\'s 1\" body lift, satisfied, but...

Here are my notes:

#1 ~dumb-> The legal disclaimer for the lift states it is not to be installed on a functioning vehicle. The lift is only to be installed on show cars that are not actualy driven. That's the best disclaimer yet!!!

#2 ~good-> What did come in the kit was everything needed to get the pucks installed and everything installed without threading problems etc.

#3 ~cheap-> The usual metal spacers that support areas that no longer rest on the frame are NOT included. Spaces like under the seats, for example, are empty and look weak. I will fill these new gaps somehow... Also the brake bracket will not reattach to the original holes in the fender. A simple stamped bracket could have relocated this, but since none was provided, we drilled new holes.

#4 ~tip-> I used a scissor jack to assist in the lifting of the body. This left marks and dented the strongest part of the floor there is (the cross braced area). I should have been more creative and used the cherry picker to pick up the entire body at once (or at least found something to spread the "push" out a little more. Also, unlike the trucks I have done, you must take all bolts off both sides and take care that the studs do not lock themselves on the opposite end you are lifting.

#5 ~ugly-> IMHO, nothing is as ugly as the space left between the body and the front bumper. Bleckhhh.

#6 ~kinda disappointing-> the cool washer/extended bolt things (gosh I could'a built those, duh) had welds that made a socket wrench impossible to use. ...Slowed us down.

#7 ~quick-> We were done in less than an hour in spite of some of my "cusomizing" and other currently running projects that got in the way (Like my seat brackets that at some points bolt through the frame with nylocks and all the electrical wires and the cherry picker that I haven't put away yet, and...)

Hope this assists others who might be considering...
*** and I put good stuff for the search engine to find too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 01:54 AM

Re: Installed Sky\'s 1\" body lift, satisfied, but...

If possible, can you snap some pics of how the shifters and how the outside (along front bumper, wheel wells)looks? I want to gain some extra room for bigger tires but I'm concerned about how ugly body lifts in general look...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

I'll try and get to it for ya.

I haven't test drove due to so many other projects running at the same time, but the shifters on a 1" are a non event. The rear buper is mounted to the body, so the only visible gaps back there are in the rear tire well. I'm thinking of choping some angled aluminum to cove the gap above the front bumper.

The t-case seams fine so far. I have no idea if the steering is going to be affected yet. I still have to install the new gas tank, finish the wiring, finish the dash, fill the transmission, ...may never get on the road again [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I will get back to ya. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 10:12 PM

I'd actually prefer to have a 1 or 2 inch lift on mine to help clean it off after wheelin'. I have lots of mud under there that I have to practically crawl under the truck to get off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

food for thought:

the gap created between the body and frame is going to let more mud in through the fender wells and there will be a whole new "shelf" for the mud to sit on EVERYWHERE the body is currently touching the frame...

I can see how getting the hose in there afterwards would be a lot easier.

Have you considered a set of those mini ramps? You could put 1 in front of every tire, put your sami in 4 low and presto: it's 12" off the ground (careful getting out).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 06:58 PM

I did the Sky 2 inch lift too and he's right about all those points. I've attached a pic of mine with the lift to give you an idea of what the gap looks like. I'm just going to weld some sheet metal inside the engine bay to keep the mud and water out. Not to mention, to have it look better. As for the shifter height changes, sorry, don't know because I took out the whole drivetrain and am in the process of replacing it with a 4.3L, etc...

Cheers!
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 899334-Bodylift1.jpg (63.2 KB, 33 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 07:02 PM

Here's another pic...

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 899341-Bodylift2a.jpg (42.6 KB, 26 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 09:30 AM

Just a thought,
there is a reason why Suzuki put mounts/supports under the seating area....

I imagine, while you or anyone else that has done this type of lift, is sitting in their seat, bouncing, that the body tub where the mount no longer exists, will fatique and weaken to the point that you will have some bending and cracking....

you might want to figure out a way to extend the mounts/supports for the seating areas....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Here's the front on a 1".

It is still in the garage so the pic isn't all that great...

I'm probably just going to rivet some L metal to the bumper and trim it a little to match the contours in the middle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 901876-one inch BL Front.JPG (46.1 KB, 32 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

And here is the back.

Note you can just barely see the frame. Paint it black and it will disappear.

The license plate lights popped out into view... I guess they're going to get some of the black as well [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for the sheet metal fatigue. Zuks are notorious for the floor ripping where the seat's rear mounts are anyways.

So yes, I definitely will be planning some extra spacers. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 901878-one inch BL Back.JPG (39.4 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode