project SJ410 home - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

project SJ410 home

Finally went and picked up the Suzuki!

Quick Background - this is a 1985 Jimny with the 1.0L engine, 4-speed with the parking brake on the output shaft. There are only 38,000 original miles on it - but it was disassembled about 9 years ago for some R&D on a drivetrain swap. All the parts are there, they just aren't connected anymore [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The body has some rusted sections, primarily from being out in the elements for a long time, but little, if any, floorboard/frame rust (most rust is on the outer body sections).

Originally, I planned on dropping everything back into it and doing some light restoration, and getting it ready for my kids (who will be turning 16 in a few years). However, I'm starting to rethink that option. It didn't help that my wife looked at the engine sitting in back of the van and said "if you're gonna need a bigger engine for it anyway, why even put that one back in it?"

Plus, living in Colorado, it would be nice to have a low-cost trail-ready 4x that can take some of the pressure off my 2 1/2 year old daily driver.

So, anyway, I look forward to hanging around this board a lot more in the future, and asking a bunch of questions as I try to figure out exactly what my SJ410 wants to be when it grows up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 896813-sj410small.jpg (91.9 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: project SJ410 home

hey nice rig i just picked you a sammi to i live in colorado used to live in lakewood also dont know much but if you need a hand let me know
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Josh, although after reading your post on the Colorado 4x4 post and knowing what you paid for a running Sammi, I am a little bit jealous. Mine doesn't run and I had a long, long way to trailer it home.

On the positive side, my daughter called me this afternoon and said my son (they are both 13) was already cleaning it up and getting all the crap out of the inside (it had been sitting for quite some time and had lots of leaves and debris inside of it).

Anyway, you'll know when we get moving forward on the project - I'll be sure to post here when I get confused or need help [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 07:12 PM

Welcome to the world of Zukin'. It already looks like you are hooked! Are those Florida tags on that 410? Surely, you didn't drive that far to pick it up?!?

I had a 410 also. But, I bought mine for parts. It only had 20K original KILOMETERS(!!) on it but was very rough. The guy I got it from smoked 2 packs a day in there with no windows down nor top off. He then parked it in the sun for about 4 years before I came along... It was like a giant flypaper interior...

So, I got it to stip fro parts. In retrospect, I wish I'd kept more parts than I did.

Anyway, good luck with your project and don't get discouraged!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

"Surely, you didn't drive that far to pick it up?!? "

Not exactly - that trailer has Texas plates on it. So I only had to do a 'quick' weekend road trip to visit a friend and pick it up.

This Zuk is actually in pretty good shape body-wise. It did come from Fla originally, then sat under a pine tree in Georgia (with the soft top up) for 9 years, then was hauled to Tx in July. There are a few rusted out spots on the upper body (and on the bottom of the window frame), but nothing that can't be fixed. Best of all, the majority of the underside of the body and the fenderwells look to be extremely rust-free. It ain't perfect, but is a good base to start with.

Now all I gotta do is research exactly what engine/tranny combo I want to put in it and start rebuilding. The R&D project that was done with this was installing a 2.3L isuzu engine, 4-spd tranny/x-fer case and rear end without changing the motor mounts, tranny mounts or shackle mounts (it was very successful). Not sure I want to replicate that, especially since Isuzu aftermarket is extremely limited.

Heck, it even comes with an extra brand-new wiring harness and a few other additional 'parts' that I haven't been able to figure out (one looks like an a/c compressor, but I don't think this one had A/C on it).

As far as the body is concerned, I'm not quite to the point where I can start hacking away with the sawzall (not mentally anyway), so I'll at least try to stop the spread of any other rust, and fix the critical areas, too.

I'll try not to get discouraged, but I really am covering new ground here - never actually restored/rebuilt a rig before. I do have a brother that is a mechanic and does work sometimes for a guy that owns a body/paint shop, I'm thinking that may come in handy soon {big grin}.

Anyway, I Can't wait to do more research and post my questions here on the board!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 08:28 AM

I've had my 85 SJ410 for about 6 years now, it's been parked for the last 3, but I'll be starting on it next month. I went a while debating on an engine swap upgrade as well, it's still in the back of my mind. First I ever heard of the Isuzu combo, where can I learn more? There is no aftermarket for the 1.0 that's in it now, so that doesn't make much difference to me, just hate to loose the stock gearing of the 410.

Mine came with air conditioning as well, It looks as though it's aftermarket though. I'm pulling it anyway to do the on-board-air mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode