Oil in Fuel Filter??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:11 AM
Urai

Oil in Fuel Filter???

Today I replaced my fuel filter on the samurai. After emptying out all of the gas I looked into the filter to see what was in there. To my surprise I saw droplets of what looked like oil. It was really dark and did not mix with the gas (like oil in water). At first I thought this was oil but... how would oil be in the fuel filter unless it is in my fuel tank? Could this be part of the fuel filter itself that dissolved? The filter appeared to be VERY old (I just bought the samurai a month ago). I have heard that you can get fuel in your oil if the fuel pump goes but I don’t see how this can be the other way around. Wouldn’t the oil be combusted and shot out through the exhaust if this were the case? My sami is an 87 with 115,000 miles on it. Do you think I should just replace the fuel pump to be safe? Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 06:11 AM

Re: Oil in Fuel Filter???

Are you sure it's not just water??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It was water. once it is in the filter it collects the rest of the gunk in there and turns into some nasty stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 08:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Urai:

If you can, I'd replace the mechanical fuel pump. Since they seem to have a history of going bad at just over 110k -- especially if the truck has sat unused for several months -- you might want to do this just to be safe.

Remember, if you do it yourself, DO NOT touch or press on the pump arm as you may damage the diaphragm on your new pump. Don't ask why I know this...

Also, check and change your oil, if you haven't already. Keeping a close eye on the oil (raises in level, sudden thinness and an unpleasant increase in engine noise) until you can change the fuel pump might be a good idea if replacing the pump cannot be done right now. Hey, if it is okay, why screw with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode