OT np203 and 727 tranny rebuilt questions. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT np203 and 727 tranny rebuilt questions.

Evening.. I had a 727 dodge trannny rebuilt and I think I may be getting scammed. The tranny shifts into 3rd gear at about 25mph, I can force it to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and it works well. Also a np203 transfer case may be giving the tech trouble (don't think so though).
Here is what happens. something goes out of gear when the tech accelerates (after I drove it perfectly for like 2 miles?!!) 2 times with myself in the cab, he goes to neutral, then back to drive and it works fine?! I have manualy engaged the lock mechanism (you should know the 203 [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) because the shifter is crap and it does jump out of gear if the linkages are hooked to the shifter units on the transfer case (it's so crappy it does not change the x-fer gears right!).
What I need to know is:
What is a stereotypical v8 3 speed shift rpm for the gears?
Are the 203 cases typical of going out of gear by themselves (NO GRINDING AT ALL!!!!!!)
[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 05:44 PM
desertmoron

Re: OT np203 and 727 tranny rebuilt questions.

i have a 727 and 203 in a 76 ramcharger. the only problem i've ever had w/ the 203 is it sometimes won't disengage from 4 lock until i drive around a couple corners or reverse. i recently had my 727 rebuilt and had the opposite problem where it wouldn't shift into 3rd until about 3000 rpms. theres a spring on some linkage that was missing, now it shifts fine. 25 mph seems kinda low, but if i'm slowly accelerating (no foot in it), mine will shift rather quickly, 3rd at 25 - 30. i rarely drive like a grandma though and it shifts to 3rd around 45 unless i'm pushing it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I dont no that much about the 727 but if it has a vac. assist very possible that if it was replaced during the rebuild it may be the wrong one Fords have 6 diff. vac assist fot there trannies and the only way to no is by the color code small paint dot and here in Chicago dots dont last under a vehicle very long so its trial and error. Just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Update: The transfer case was just fine (thank you [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]), the
shift points were raised, and the engine mounts are trashed, one broke
and the other has collapsed, The goosed the engine and the rad fan ate
the rad (SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!), so engine mounts and a rad is all that's left [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 12:32 AM
Enthusiast

the pressure in the 727 is regulated by the linkage between it and the throttle on the carb. if it's out of adjustment, if the carburator is changed to an aftermarket carb, or if the linkage is bent. it will change the shift points. also if the motor is flopping around that could do it too. the way i fixed mine since i run a jet performance quadrajet was with a lokar trans cable set-up. also to anyone going to have a 727 rebuilt the tci racing rebuild kit rocks!. i have a lock-right in front and with full time 4wd when i'm on the throttle the truck just about changes lanes when it shifts! very firm, very cool
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT np203 and 727 tranny rebuilt questions.NEW

*update*
Ok, the engine mounts broke in the shop and the fan, fan clutch, and rad were distroyed.
I brought the truck in with only one transfer case bolt and bushing w/the bolt halfasialy tightened. The second transfer case bolt was never installed. My thinking is that with the lack of the second transfer case bolt and bushing and properly tightening the existing bolt (they did not tighten the bolt at all, it's just sorta flopping around) the motor was able to move EXCESSIVLY and distroy the motor mounts that in turn distroyed the fan, fan clutch, and rad.
I think that they should have ATLEAST tightened the existing transfercase bolt (1 of 2) and that would have prevented over 650 dollars in parts + labor for the engine mount problem.
Need input.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2002, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT np203 and 727 tranny rebuilt questions.NEW

With the truck right now if it were to be put into gear with the brakes enguaged I can see the transfer case move quite a bit. That's got me thinking that movement had broken the engine mounts. Time to get some money back! The oridginal quote of 325 to install the transfer case and mounts + linkages was just fine, turned out to be almost 900.
Grrr, what should I do?
Note they chained the motor down so it has no chance to lurch forward and yet they did nothing about the transfer case bolts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode