wobble in drivetrain - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

wobble in drivetrain

I am having a wobble in the drivetrain and I am in the process of figuring it out. I have concluded that it is not happening due to the rear driveshaft or the output shaft from the tranny. I came to the conclusion by taking a shaft out at a time. Now I am left with either a tranny mount or an engine mount. Is there an easy way to determine which it would be. I can't seem to see where the tranny connects to the frame (if it does). The engine mounts look good...

Any help?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:23 PM

Re: wobble in drivetrain

Check your tranny DS U-joints and the balance of your tires. Also make sure that DS is clocked properly end to end.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 08:46 PM

first thing would be to check the driveshaft bolts and see if they are tight mine was doing the ame and it turned out it was the intermediate shaft between tranny and case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The engine/tranmission is mounted together as one unit with the front mounts being the engine mounts and the rear mount being a 4-bolt mount just under the transmission's shifter unit. This is mounted to the frame through a really flexible rubber mount.

Check the front and rear driveshafts for yoke alignment. The yokes at either end MUST be aligned so they match perfectly in axial alignment -- just like the shaft that connects the transmission to the t-case. This is one of the most common sources of drivetrain vibration. It usually occurs when someone has disassembled the driveshafts to install a lift. Mis-alignment induces vibration and destroys U-joint bearings. There are marking dots on both pieces of the driveshafts that will help to reassemble the shafts properly.

I have a video on the site listed below that explains driveshaft misalignment visually.

Hope this helps!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

K guys.... As I posted above neither the rear drive shaft or the driveshaft from the tranny to the t-case as in right now .I left them out started the truck and am still getting the same vibration. I has to be coming from either the tranny or the engine since nothing else is connected (front driveshaft not engaged, rear out, output shaft from tranny out). I would suspect that maybe the Tranny mounts are the problem. Maybe the rubber has worn out.
Based on what I just wrote is there any other ideas or common occurances?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode