CRIKEY!! GTI ENGINE LABOR IS $500 dollars!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

CRIKEY!! GTI ENGINE LABOR IS $500 dollars!!!!!

HOLEY FREKIN A MAN!!! I got a bill of 638.87 for my gti engine work (shortblock only, no head from AAPA YET!!!)
Here is the quote:
CLEAN BLOCK 4 CYLINDER 58.50
SURFACE 4 CYLINDER ENGINE BLOCK 55.00
CLEAN AND POLISH THE CRANK 42
CHECK ALL CONNECTING RODS 26.19
CHECK ALL PISTONS 22.00
HONE CYLINDERS 36.00
SHORTBLOCK ASSEMBLY 135.04
SURFACE THE FLYWHEEL 48.50
BALANCE THE FLYWHEEL 50.00

THE PARTS:
MAIN BEARINGS 33.33
ROD BEARINGS 23.94
THRUST WASHERS 10.56
PISTON RINGS 46.65
SHIPPING 5.00
1400 DOLLARS FOR A GTI LONGBLOCK! OUCH! 500 dollars is labor!!!
Is this good/bad/horrible/should I bi^ch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:53 PM

Re: CRIKEY!! GTI ENGINE LABOR IS $500 dollars!!!!!

change your identity fast!!! they will never catch you lol should do a 1.6'er for taht price or maybe a VW diesel
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ok, it's not really a bill, they have done maybe 100 dollars worth or work as of now. They are waiting for my approval..
[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:16 PM

And here I have been begging for someone to take this 225 original mile GTi engine for $600.00. Hmmm... maybe the price just went up on it!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:30 PM

sigh ok nowhere suit up the gun rack and ski masks we will take care of this "bill" lol [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] honestly tho man I think you could prolly do a 1.6 16v for near that with way more power
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 05:00 PM
Veteran

You're being fleeced IMHO, and yes you should b*tch! "Clean and polish crank" should be around $20. "Surface flywheel" should be around $15. "Check rods and pistons" should be included in the cost of "shortblock assembly". Where did you take it, a dealership? I think you should find another shop ASAP!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 07:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

What's the matter , you guys think this stuff is done for free? No offense , but the prices quoted aren't bad . Let's see here...
Clean and polish crank... This involves a hot tank job , reaming out the oil passages , and chucking it up into a crank lathe (which has to be calibrated for each rod throw seperately from the mains) then polishing it with a belt until it has a mirror finish . That is , after it's been measured to see if it is within specs . $42? Cheap . Cleaning the block takes a couple of hours , and a hot tank job if they are equipped to do aluminum . Rod brushing out all the oil passages on a GTi sucks , I've done it . Surfacing price for the block is right on the money , as that is going to be one serious headache to get mounted properly in the machine , let alone get it square . Checking the connecting rods is off a lot , it should be a lot higher and involve properly resizing them to spec , as they WILL be out of round . Checking over the pistons is fine , I'd be surprised if they are ok to use . Remember , these engines can be easily wound over 8k . Honing the cylinders is a good price , most shops charge $8/hole . Assembly for the shortblock isn't bad , this also takes a lot of time . Resurfacing and balance for the flywheel isn't bad , think I paid about $75 total for mine . I would look into balancing the bottom end if you want it to last , it really makes a difference . Price on parts is very good , a fair bit less than I paid for most of the parts in mine . So, $1,400 for a long block GTi ? Wish mine would have been that cheap . Add:
Balanced Crank
Blueprinted
Custom J&E Racing pistons, 8v eyebrows , 10:1
Fillet on Crank
Shot peened rods
Rods resized and honed
All bearings relieved and back cut
Bore/hone block .020"
Rebuild cylinder head , only two years old from a Zuk vendor
Install new valve guides

Price? LOL , $2,899 total .
Like I said , you're getting by pretty cheap....
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 05:55 AM
Veteran

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you guys were building race-ready, balanced and blueprinted, competition 4-cylinder engines here. I thought you were just doing a regular street build like most folks do. My bad!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

This is not a real race engine or anything super duper xl9000 engine. Sarge on the other hand, has a pimp engine [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].
I'm getting things checked, cleaned, and preped for use again with this hybrid setup. The only out of place thing on this setup is the flywheel..
I'm going to see if I can bardter some computer tech time/parts for labor [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Thanks for the excelent input Sarge!
I'm curious to what you mean on the pistons though. After 19k and the engine not needing honing should the pistons be replaced anyways? I really don't want to buy them though [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

LOL , that wasn't a race engine , just well built for revs and long life . Unfortunately, the ring end gap was incorrect due to a misunderstanding with the piston manufacturer . Lasted a whole 3k , then took a huge dump . I'm working on getting some sort of warranty on that now . Only good thing left is the rods, the block and crank are junk , along with 3 of the pistons . If yours only had 19k, why take it apart? If it's really that low , they should be fine . Most any engine with over 50k will beat the pistons out of round pretty good .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode