Carb questions..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carb questions.....

Hey all-

I run an '86 stock Sammy. I have put up with the "power" issue and managed to live with it but lately its buggin' me. When I accelerate I have a delay sometimes of several seconds before the motor finally "goes". Of coures this depends on what gear I'm in but we're talking road driving. I've heard of the "vent" tube fix but am I really looking at maybe an accelerator pump or timing problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Carb questions.....

Here are some things to try:

If you have a timing light, connect it up per the instructions and shine it at the flywheel through the hole on the passenger side of the bellhousing. There is a oval rubber plug that the hole hides under. The markings on the edge of the flywheel will help you set the timing better than the one on the timing belt cover. Set the timing to 9 degrees using the tension bolt on the distributor.

Check your spark plug harness. If it looks dirty of corroded, replace it being careful that you rewire it the way it was (assuming that it was right in the first place...) The distributor wiring is (from the highest or nearest to the driver's side distributor connector) 1, 3, 4, 2 in clockwise order

Check the vaccuum hoses on the carb and replace as neccessary (heck, go ahead and replace them ALL!)

Check the throat of the carb for the diagonal hole near the top of the throat. If it is just a hole, you need a tube ($7-10) If it looks like a tube with an angled cut to the top of it, you already have a tube.

You should also check your compression (I believe at least within 20% of each other and above 140 pounds).

Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Skip

Can you say Weber? I knew you could. My stock carb did the same thing. I'm pretty good with most carbs. Lots of experience modifying Toyota, Mazda and Datsun carbs. Couldn't fix it. I also have a history with Webers from my VW days. My Weber 32/36 came from an old pile of VW parts. It runs great, no hesitation, more top end, and to avoid the "dredded uphill flooding" I mounted the carb with the floats to the rear on a modified intake manifold with no adapter plate. Others have used the Pony carb and other brands. My only experience has been with the Weber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 08:03 PM

I do have a few more Pony carbs if you need one... Just pm me or E-mail me....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I'll give it a look see this weekend.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you install a weber or pony carb, what do you do with the leftover sensors and stuff? Doesn't the ECM look for these signals and get confused?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 08:32 PM

You can take all and ditch them including the brain...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode