Rocky Road Outfitters coil spring suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Buddyman

Rocky Road Outfitters coil spring suspension

Hi there I'm thinking of buying the Rocky Road Outfitters coil spring suspension kit for my Samurai. Does anyone have any experience with this system? How does is ride onroad and offroad? Is it too tall for 31" tires?

Also, will I have to get a traction bar if I use the kit, which is similar to the situation with SPOAs?

Thanks for the help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 03:51 PM

Re: Rocky Road Outfitters coil spring suspension

I just recently purchased the Coil Kit from RRO but have yet to install it as I am currently out of the states. I have done a ton of research and came to the conclusion that it is worth the dough. No you do not need a traction bar with it. Traction bars are needed on leaf spring applications to keep them from trying to wrap themselves around the axel under torque loading. The kit has the option of purchasing 6 or 8 inch springs. If you never plan on running larger that 31 inch tires the 6 inch kit is fine. But if you ever decide to go larger, which is very likely, you need the 8 inch springs. The good thing is that the springs are relatively cheap and you could always buy the longer ones later. As for handeling and driving characteristics. It will beat a missing link setup hands down. You dont have the nose dive under braking that you have with missing links and when climbing hills you dont have to worry about the links opening up and sending you rolling back down the hill. Road characteristics are very good as well. Check out a friend of mines web site www.mystomper.com as well as the attachment for some more pics. I have a ton of pics and will gladly send them to you once i get back to my home computer. I hope this helps and if you can think of anything else just let me know. Good luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 877632-nicecoils.jpg (51.3 KB, 7 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:01 PM

i actually purchased that kit too and my truck is in the shop right now getting it installed. im hoping to have it out this week and i will get some pics and let you know what i think of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:07 PM

Will this kit extend your wheelbase any?

And will it work with Toyota axles?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am installing the Shaffer kit (same?) with Land Cruiser axles. The kit has to be ordered for toyota axles, there are a few differences. The wheel base is extended slightly, I was thinking of moving the rear back a foot or so but didnt. Iwrider, how much they charging you to install the kit, just wondering 'cause its alot of labor!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 05:17 PM

Sounds good!
I was wondering the same about the differences in the Shaffer kit and Rocky Road's.
Do you know how much the wheelbase is extended on the kit your getting zooky?

Also, would there be any advantage or disadvantage to using coilover's with the kit, as opposed to a seperate spring and shock?

Thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 06:48 PM

um i took it down to fst down here is az(they do all the fabwork for fly-n-hi) and i know they do good work. they said about 600 to install everthing. i got the top of the line kit with the double carden kad driveshafts and the over the top steering too.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 08:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

$600, thats pretty reasonable, the big kit is sweet, shouldnt need much more.
My wheelbase is only about 3" over stock but with a little more work you can put it where you want. Coil-overs will give you a little more, I think the links will be the limiting factor of flex.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 04:56 PM

hey buddyman dont go and buy your coil kit just yet ive got some pretty juicy information that you should know before you buy. i just gotta check something and get something straightened out and ill let you know. ill let you know this info by the end of this week.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 05:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ooo, gossip What kind of info??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode