looking for a good winch, but i'm cheap. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

looking for a good winch, but i\'m cheap.

howdy,
i would like to own a winch for my sammi, but i am cheap. i would love to have a good winch, but i am cheap. on the other hand i see that milemarker makes a winch, but it looks cheap, and i'm cheap. so by now you all can guess that i'm cheap, but want something good. anyone got an idea on what i should do for a good winch. remember i have a taste for wine, but a beer budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 10:15 AM

Re: looking for a good winch, but i\'m cheap.

If you can live with nursing a small winch, harbor Freight, Northern Tools and many other importers sell a 2000 lb box winch that is good for nursing you off high center and maybe, rolling you back on wheels from a roll, ( with the right angles) and other light duty work. Under $100. you can double it with a pully and its designed to use portably so you have the option of side pulls or any angle. It comes with a remote switch on a 10-12 foot cable. you can recognise it as its the one that comes with a hand crank.

But you will have to baby it some, and it will not pull the heavy sticks at all.

On the other hand zuks are light and you can get away with a lot lighter winch than a heavy rig.

Mostly, you get what you pay for.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 10:40 AM

that harbor freight one is 2000 lbs rolling load most winches are i believe lifting or static load

what do you plan on using the winch for there is a big heavy real come along called the MORE POWER PULLER http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant...Category_Code=

or i have built my own it also doubles as a tow strap any length from 1 to 29 feet and is rated at 5000 lbs I think I can build my hand winch for about $50 see pix of it this is the original one i built I have since made some modifications but dont have pix right now these have become so handy I now have 2 one for the front and one for the back PM me if you are interested and i will check on prices of the parts I need so I can get a accurate price
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 876787-winch 1.jpg (59.0 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 03:58 PM

--that harbor freight one is 2000 lbs rolling load most winches are i believe lifting or static load --
(must have inadvertantly used an HTML code! this was in my original text)

2000 "pulling" (lifting? Static? the far east tranlations are whacked sometimes) 6000 rolling. I've seem 'em used on truck bed hoists several times.

And yep, a come a along has got me out several times, But its a lot of work and ordinary ones have a 6' cable most of the time.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 05:52 PM

the more power puller some have 35 feet of cable or half that if double lined mine has 30 feet of strap i have a 4 foot handle for mine but i must admit i have a winch as well you cant drive and tighten a comealong at the same time and i mostly use these for pulling stuck vehicles i have a samurai jack handle that inserts in the end that alows me to reel the whole 30 feet up in seconds and if it is wet or muddy who cares it stays neatly out of the way on the bumper
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A buddy of mine has a harbor freight 8000lb winch. He paid around 300 dollars for it. It actually looks just like a ramsey...however...the motor went bad after about 6 pulls. This only cost him 297 dollars to get fixed, which roughly adds up to the cost of a brand new warn M8000 that I have. I have been in some situations where I could not drive up an incline thanks to a combination of my weber(which is now running better thanks to Crow's CD) and a lack of low enough gears. With out my winch I would have been stuck(400 feet from the top), and there was no turning around because of the steepness of the trail(around 50 degrees). I had to make 4 100ft pulls, and needless to say I really love my winch, because it takes all the abuse that I give it and comes back for more. What I am saying is dont cheap out on a winch, it might save your life someday.

Paul
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 10:40 PM
Veteran

MileMarker makes a pretty good electric 8000lbs winch for the money. PM "HankS" on this board. I think he has a few he's trying to sell. I believe they are like $399+ shipping.

Jim
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 01:52 PM
Addict

Is this the same MileMarker that make hydraulic winches and imply in their blurb that electric winches are all rubbish?
Personally I have a UK made electric winch, rated at 8000lbs, curiously though it was supplied with a 200A fuse yet the graph on their website shows it draws 200A at only 5000lbs (more than enough for my Vitara/Tracker. You do have to look closely at the specs though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 03:03 PM

You are not cheap, just thrifty. I myself have ALWAYS been a thrifty person. A come-along does me fine. A winch doesn't help much rubber side up!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Skip

Cheap? You need to see me. Start with a good come-along like the More Power Pulley. I've got a 4000 lb Might Mule that has served me real well. 2 years ago I decided I wanted an electric winch. I have a Ramsey 5000 lb quick mount. It mounts into a 2" receiver. I use it now but I still carry the Mighty Mule. Used it the other day to bind a Jeep transmission and tcase in place. I've also used it in conjunction with my winch when I needed to pull 2 ways at the same time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode