head gasket - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

head gasket

Well i guess i should start from the begining. I just rebuilt my engine. bord .30 over. Well every time i run it its been over heating. So i pulled out the engine again. pulled the head and every thing looks good. My question is, The head gasket looks like it restricts coolant flow threw the cooling passages. the holes in the head gasket are small round holes but in the head and block the cooling passages are much larger. Do you guy think it would be a good or bad idea to open up the holes on the head gasket, to allow better coolant flow or not? and also theres a round hole in the front and back of block on the right side of the engine and the gasket hole is barly lined up what are these two holes for? thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 04:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: head gasket

Those two holes at the end of your post are the oil passage holes. If you accidently flip over the gasket and install it upside down, you'll cut off oil flow to and from the head.

I don't see any reason why you could not carefully make the water passage holes in the gasket match the shape of head passages with an exacto-knife.

Or you could look for a better-quality gasket.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you get the water flowing thru the engine too fast it will run hotter..... cause the water dont have time to pull the heat out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 04:49 PM

The arguement that it flows to quick to cool is an old one. Some people say that if you pull the thermostat out it will actually make the motor run hotter cause the coolant isnt forced to stay in the radiator. But IME whenever I have pulled the thermo it has ran much cooler. Kinda like a river, where ever the water is moving at a good clip it always seems to be colder, but a good swiming hole the water is barely moving.
Anyway I would cut the holes out carefully or like suggested above it may be better to get a higher quality gasket.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 05:54 PM

As you've already "crushed" that gasket when you torqued it down the first time you installed it, it might be wise to replace it anyway.....I would.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Well the one that was on it was from HAWK, and the one i'm about to put on it is from asian auto parts, there both pretty good quality.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:38 PM

"if you get the water flowing thru the engine too fast it will run hotter..... cause the water dont have time to pull the heat out"

Well, I guess if you carried that logic a little further, if you restricted the flow even more it would run cooler yet. Makes no sense to me.

The rate of heat transferance is directly proportional to the rate of flow. In other words, the greater the flow of coolant, the cooler the engine.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 08:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It may not be in the head gasket its just possible a lower bearing has spun which would cause the motor to overheat
talking form exp. you may want to look at the lower end. as far as water flow thats )@*[email protected] if that were true you wouldnt need a radiator!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 08:47 PM

The problem with water flow, is not flow thru the engine, but thru the radiator. Too fast and it doesnt cool enough. Too slow and the engine water gets too hot. Its called balance. Radiators usually don't have a ton of extra capacty.

Also if you remembr basic physics hett flows to cold, not the reverse. So it's harder to cool than to heat. apply that logic to each element of your cooling system and you will see better how it works.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 09:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thats what I was trying to get at in not so many words I just dont beleive it is a coolant problem caused by the head gasket
It could be as simple as a bad radiator cap, no pressure = the posability of boil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode