Cheap tools? or Cheap tools! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 12:41 PM
graydiger

Cheap tools? or Cheap tools!

Hi guys, I have been thinking of opening one of those cheap tool stores like a tool town, I know the tools are cheap quality but they are also cheap priced do you guy's buy from these stores or would you if there was one close to you? Thanks for any input!

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 01:45 PM

Re: Cheap tools? or Cheap tools!

The harbor freight down the street does good business. I buy some things there, like tarps, cheap rope, gloves etc. consumables mostly. Also if its the same as what every one else sell, just a lower price, like say the cheap utlity trailer, or the tool box mats, then I buy it whereever its cheapest.

The thing to ask yourself is do you have a population base for customers and what is your competition? It wont do you any good to fight HF for customers, they have the contacts and buying power. Post tool 1 mile away died 1 year after HF opend up. 'Nuff said on that.

As far as the tools, I buy very few tools from HF. Partly because I have most of what I need, but mostly, I buy better quality than that for tools. (Craftsman or better) you get what you pay for, so I have only bought tools like an 5 lb anvil for lite work, a set of number stamps for my wife, little things that quality can be checked on easily.

my 2 cents.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 01:51 PM

I second that! Better to buy quality once than inexpensive over & over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:23 PM
graydiger

I'm pretty much the same but a short while back I needed a cheap slide hammer to pull a rear bearing out of my truck a one shot deal, bought my last one from tool town in seattle 15 years ago for $30 but in my moves lost it so I had to pay $120. for a napa one! Where I live now there is'nt anything as far as cheap stuff except twice a year HOMERS TOOLS comes through with a couple of semi's and they have the same kinda stuff and man do they make a killing! I have the floor space in my store so i'll probably go for it in small scale before christmas for a test.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 03:09 PM

Go for it Don-
Remember the women usually buy lots of tools and such for their men on birthdays and such, and no matter how many times I say craftsman, craftsman craftsman, she always ends up buying me the cheap0 madie in china crap. I went through 3 of those type ratchets in one day of working on my suspension.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 06:15 PM

Do I prefer Craftsman? You bet! And most of my wrenches are Craftsman and sockets too. When I needed an engine stand for $40 or a Solvent tank for $75, do I go to Harbor Freight, yes I do. Do I hate that everything comes from China? You bet, but mostly for political reasons.

Long answer short, I frequent my Harbor Freight for many things, simply because I need what they have and my budget has kept me out of the Craftman store this summer.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 06:35 PM

I had a good mix of craftsman, snap on, bosche, dewalt, makita, blah blah some of it was inherited from an uncle who was pretty darn handy. Then one day I opened my garage to find almost everything was gone.. except for the engine lift and a half dozen empty cordless tool cases.

Now I buy almost everything cheap, some tools you shouldn't skimp on.

Thanks to HF and Home Depot I restocked the garage for less than my insurance deductible.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 08:09 PM

I buy the best quality that I can afford at the time for most of my tools but, some things you can spend a lot more than needed on tools. I don't see the point in spending $85 on a tierod separator that i am going to use twice in 30 years. Air tools that get used twice a year and consumable all come from Harbor Freight or the like. I have three boys that are getting to the age where they like to fix their own bicycles and they ain't geting my good tools. I have a box of cheap tools that they have access to and a box of cheap tools in my boat and another in the wifes car. Cheap tools will get you out of a jam on the lake or highway most of the time.

And like someone else stated, to a woman, tools are tools and cheaper is better. There is always a place and market for cheap tools. I say "go for it if you have the space".
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 08:23 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have a ton of them and use them often. I personally love them, never had a wrench break, and some of the power tools are going strong after 4 years of use, more than I can say for my Makita, which heats up a lot. Let's see, 4.5" angle grinders, one for $6.50, the other for $50...you do the math.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2002, 10:40 AM
Veteran

I buy both Craftsman and Harbor Freight tools. It's nice to be able to modify tools from time to time, and I do it with the cheap ones. This pic shows a homemade obstruction wrench for removing the carburetor mounting nuts. You can see where I bent it and ground down the wall thickness. I wouldn't want to do that to a Craftsman wrench! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Might void the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode