Your opinions on my Pinions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Your opinions on my Pinions...

Hi all. I'm rebuilding my '88 Zuk's differentials (139,000 miles) with new 4.57 Yukon R&P's. I thought I would re-use the original bearings and races, but upon close inspection, they look a bit worn to me. Please take a look at these pics and tell me if you would re-use or replace these bearings. "Bear" in mind that when you re-gear, everything spins faster than it did before. And I'll be running 33's. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 08:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Your opinions on my Pinions...

Take a pc. of Emry cloth and oil and polish them up after your done as long as there is no discoloration or large pits reuse them just make sure you keep the race with the correct bearing they are matched yours dont look bad from the pic
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 12:22 AM
Skip

Replace the bearings. They're cheap compared to the new R&P's you're putting in. The pitting is the bad sign
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 10:54 AM
Addict

If it was me, I replace the bearing. Whats the old saying "Pay me now or pay me later" But could cost more later.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:12 PM

Actually the carrier bearings are probably turning slower than stock, due to the larger tires you run. the pinon will turn faster than it has been with the stock gears and tall tires, but unless your way under geared, the pinion should be turning about the same in hi range.

If those dotd are pits, I agree with replaceing them. How do the rollers look? discolored? I second the vote.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

Best insurance is to replace them.
No since in doing the job twice...money don't grow on trees
around here.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Outlaw: I agree that the carrier will turn at about the same speed as stock. But the pinion will be turning faster. The following is excerpted from the Randy's Ring & Pinion website:
"I have had more than a few customers come back to our service shop after a gear ratio change to complain that we caused a new vibration in their vehicle. In actuality, we inadvertently caused the vibration by increasing the driveline speed. When changing to a lower gear ratio (numerically higher), the driveline speed increases proportionally to the change in the ratio. For example, when changing the ratio from 3.08 to 4.56, there is a 48% change in the ratio and a 48% increase in driveline speed. This means that a vibration that would have been noticeable at about 90 mph is now noticeable at 60 mph."
This is why I'm a little bit paranoid about my pinion bearings. I've never done differential work before, and I don't want to screw anything up. I believe the best thing to do is replace them. I just wish Tim or Figmo would answer their phones! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Its highly doubtful you will get a vibe from the brearings maybe noise. Like I said before your pics aren't that bad clean them up then make the decision i have put lots of r/p togather for ZF in the past the stock bearings are not as cheap as most they are made to run quiet so there is a cost involved to replace them if you clean them up and there is no large pitting or discoloration reuse them if after you clean them and there is large pitting or a tarneshed hugh then look at replacement. If yoiu have any reputable speed shops in your area have them take a look at it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 08:28 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I wouldn't trust them, they don't look all that healthy. When in doubt, swap them out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 11:06 PM

On the pinon speed, think of it this way, the only way the pinon is spinning any faster is if your motor RPM's are also spinning faster. In the case of the grs/lobster tcases, your actually cutting the output revolutions. If you severly lower the R&P ratio you may be spinning it a bit higher, but you can't go too far, the engine limits you, unless you using a High rev engine like the Swift GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode