Cam & Crank Pulley Alignment - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 06:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cam & Crank Pulley Alignment

Someone please tell me how my cam & crankshaft pulleys can slip out of sync with each other, which of course stalls the engine wiht no hope of a restart until they are aligned again. No, actually it stalls out first and then when I try to restart I can hear that the timing has slipped and I'm outta luck until I reset it. New timing belt but perhaps I'm not setting the belt tensioner correctly? I've got an '87 Sam with a 1.3L engine. When I set the tensioner, I push the spring lever down, or to the right about 3/4 of it's length and then tighten the bolt on the 'hockey puck' as well as the post that secures the spring.
This is really making me crazy trying to puzzle it out and I'm much obliged for any suggestions from the greater brain trust. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 07:28 PM

Re: Cam & Crank Pulley Alignment

almost has to be tensioner and how you tightening it. realease the tensioner and let it take the slack, and rotate the crank clockwise 2 revolutions, then cinch the tensioner. this takes any slack out of the belt. do you have the correct belt? there are 2 types. square and round tooth. They can't be mixed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 11:01 PM

I second what outlaw said.I just did my timing belt as well,and when I turned it 2 revolutions(tensioner released)the slack was gone.Then I pushed the tensioner down all the way,and tightened.Also,when you do your revo's,make sure you are in exact alignment as you were when you started[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 11:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I hope you mean you pushed the tentioner tight against the block vs tight on the belt. The 2 revolutions is to tention the belt. Install the belt correctly, let the tentioner loose, turn 2x, hold the belt taught with whatever tool you're using to turn the crank, then tighten the bolt in the center of the timing belt tentioner, then tighten the tower bolt thinggie (center of the block, it holds part of the timing cover). [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 07:29 AM
Cap34

Don't forget, you're supposed to have all your rockers loose when you turn the engine. the manual says your tension won't be right unless you go through the drill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode