Need just a little more help with my Weber - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:05 AM
bord

Need just a little more help with my Weber

When I bought my 87 Samurai about 3 months ago my Weber was way out of tune. I got one of Crows most excellent Weber CD's and I think I just about have it dialed in but I'm still having some minor issues.

First, I have a slight hesitation/miss at different points throughout the acceleration range. The most noticeable is if I have the accelerator barely pressed and then "stomp" it. When I do this it stubles and hesitates for about a second before accelerating, it makes a "gulping" sound. Then, if I hold the accelerator at about 3/4, there is a slight hesitation.

Second, I thought I had my idle just right but now if I come to an abrupt stop or stop on a downhill slope, the engine dies. It idles near perfect the rest of the time.

Lastly, The diagrams on Crows CD look a little different from my actual carb, though it may be just me. Anyhow, I just want to make sure I am adjusting the right screws.

1. A large flat screw with no spring that is toward the front of the carb, is this the lean/rich mixture screw?

2. A small screw with a spring right under the choke body that I think is attached to the choke linkage. What does this one do?

3. A screw with a spring that controls where the trottle lever stops? What does this one do?

4. The screw with a spring that is closest to the firewall located on the back of the carb. What is this one called?

Sorry to be so cumbersome but I'm trying to learn all I can so I can get this thing running right.

Thanks so much

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need just a little more help with my Weber

1. A large flat screw with no spring that is toward the front of the carb, is this the lean/rich mixture screw?

yes

2. A small screw with a spring right under the choke body that I think is attached to the choke linkage. What does this one do?

not sure but I'll look at pics

3. A screw with a spring that controls where the trottle lever stops? What does this one do?

This sets your idle speed

4. The screw with a spring that is closest to the firewall located on the back of the carb. What is this one called?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 08:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Some of your descriptions are a little confusing , let's try it this way:
Idle mixture screw: small screw with spring , located under the choke housing on the primary side .
Fast idle screw: larger headed screw in behind the choke housing that conrols fast idle speed when the choke is on .
Idle speed screw: located on the main throttle linkage , next to the choke housing . Adjusts base idle speed .
Remember to always do lean best idle settings first , then check your jetting accordingly . An initial hesitation when the accelerator is snapped open is usually caused by too small of an idle jet , and sometimes to small of a primary air jet . The hesitation at 3/4 throttle is the secondary idle jet , which is probably too lean . Let me know your jet sizes , and how your lean best idle settings come out , I sell jets and can help you get it calibrated to run properly .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Skip

Your idle mixture (lean rich) screw should be in the area of 1 3/4 turns out +/- 1/2 turn. If it's further out then you need a bigger idle jet. further in you need a smaller one. Emultion tubes will also effect this. Sarge is right on the 3/4 throttle. The secondary idle jet actually acts as more of a transition jet. As he asked what do you currently have? Try swapping your idle jets with each other. They usually come with the smaal one in the primary. I've seen similar problems solved by just reversing the idle jets. Post your jet sizes and any engine, exhaust mode, and altitude you run at
Skip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode